S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What snap oversteer?!

Old 01-22-2002, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What snap oversteer?!

I keep hearing someone mention the "S2000's tendency to snap-oversteer" in every second post I read. So I'm wondering what makes you guys say that S2000 'snap-oversteers'? Do you say that because you herd someone else say it or because you actually experienced the snap-eversteer in the S2000 first-hand? - if so, can you describe how it happened?

Reason I bring this up because I never had the S2000 to 'snap-oversteer' on me in the whole year of ownership. Yes, it slides around a fair bit and the back has no problems coming out but never ever has it snap-oversteered. It oversteers but it's all nice and progressive and eazy to bring back. In fact I find it easier to bring the back in line then let's say an MX5 (Miata) or a Lotus Elise. I've actually experienced snap-oversteer in both the MX5 and Elise first-hand but not in the S2000. To me the S2000 is probably the most controllable car when pushed over the limit ... cartainly at least as controllable there as an MX5 or an Elise. S2000 feels to me just like a go-cart - it steps out at will (and sometimes when you don't ask for it) but when it does step out it feels like you can bring it back everytime (not that would be the case with 'any' car).

To me what the S2000 lacks is the communication though the front wheels (ie. steering wheel) that the Elise or MX5 offer and therefore you can feel the car a bit better though the wheel in the other two cars. Though, despite that, even when the S2000 steps out, it's all very progressive.

Also, can you clear up what do you mean by 'snap oversteer' - do you just mean oversteer when you did not ask for it? If that is so, then that's not "snap" ovesteer - it's just plain oversteer. Or do you mean oversteer when on the brakes or trail-braking? That still is not 'snap' oversteer. "Snap" oversteer (at least to my understanding) is when the back literally snaps into a violent oversteer. When that happens then you're lucky to regain control of the car ... skill is often not enough to deal with 'snap' oversteer.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not experienced it either. This subject has really been flogged to death, but the classic example of snap oversteer is accelerating hard into a bend and suddenly for whatever reason, but let's call it 'Chickening out' you remove your foot from the throttle! The whole weight of the car moves forward unloading the weight settled on the back tyres, and suddenly you're a sycamore seed. A driver induced snap spin situation. The same situation could be caused in the same bend by braking, gear changing, or excessive steering inputs, all of which could unsettle the balance of the car and shift the weight off the rear tyres. Snap oversteer is driver induced in my opinion, and any rearwheel drive car is prone to it and a performance lightweight roadster with a rigid chassis even more so. I have absolutely no complaints about the handling of my S2000 having driven it for nearly two years as a daily driver. I do however slow down considerably in the wet and on cold surfaces. I am very mindful of hitting standing water at any speed on the stock SO2s, as I would imagine aquaplaning is a very real danger. I don't really want to find out. I love the car today even more than the day I bought it, but I don't drive in the wet like I do in the dry.

You've probably started something again now!
Old 01-22-2002, 04:33 AM

I guess cold tyres can sometimes give you a surprise, I had a quick slap on cold tyres when accelerating too hard whilst sharply turning - I was surprised! banged my head on the roof mechanism with the lateral whiplash - but that was my stupid driving - I don't blame my car!
Old 01-22-2002, 04:45 AM

It is just normal "oversteer". To the FWD drivers, who only know mild understeer, any oversteer is unsettling and amplifies their already suspect driving skills. So they have started calling it "snap oversteer." There's too many posts about drivers lifting, braking, or even shifting gears mid-turn. Each of these acts unweights the rear tires and will certainly produce oversteer.

My S2000 drives very predictably.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:48 AM

I am of the opinion that the S-2000 steering and tires do give the driver adequate input...only that it "whispers" that input to you. The feedback coming in is not as distinct as in the MX-5 in my opinion, but it is certainly there. You just have to "listen" for it more attentley than in other cars.

Jonas
Old 01-22-2002, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
This subject has really been flogged to death...
Cedric - gee the subject is alive again. At least this thread has been started from a positive point of view. DavidM spoke about the handling characteristics is such a positive way, what a nice thing to read.

DavidM - this could turn out to be a hot thread, keep an open mind. I thank you for what you wrote. Nice job!
Old 01-22-2002, 04:55 AM

I think the snappy oversteer comes with the OEM S02's. I have 18" OZ Superleggera's with Yokohama AVS Sport tyres. The difference is very noticable! With the Yokohama's it's actually possible to do a 4-wheel powerslide, something almost impossible to do with the S02's. The Yokohama's are way more predictable at the edge.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:07 AM

I've experienced "snap" oversteer and I think it has a lot to do with the S02"s. When cornering fast, there is no "warning" or very little "warning or feeling" that your back-end is going to break loose. It just "snaps" and it is coming around. It's a very, very scary experience.
Since I took off the S02's and put on Michelin Pilot Sports (just on the rear for now) I can tell when the rear is going to break loose. I can "feel" it start to slide and this gives me the opportunity to either correct or continue the slide.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:15 AM

In the few times I've oversteered, I knew right away what was going on and caught it immediately. Like Jonas said, you just have to "listen" for it more in this car.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:15 AM

The transition to VTEC can catch folks out in corners, particularly at the limit or in the wet.. Then, some might lift a bit too much, which can accentuate any problem since this would transfer more weight. If the transition to VTEC was more gradual, the car might feel less exciting. But it would be easier to drive fast AND it could be outright faster too.

Numb steering feel is a concern. Harder to know wassup in a timely manner and feel reassured that all is well and how much to correct. The Germans tend to do this well.

Folks have mentioned rear suspension bump steer and bushing compliance issues Static wheel alignment matters here toho. I recall reading that Steve Millen found some snap oversteer in a test. And that Sport Compact Car seems to feel that lowered S2Ks have increased snap oversteer and often lower limits than stock.

Others have noted mediocre bumpy road cornering grip. As in you hit bumps and the rear loses it slightly, compared to some other cars. Slows you down and hurts corner exit acceleration.

Stan

Quick Reply: What snap oversteer?!