S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What not to do with your S2000...

Old 08-26-2004, 07:34 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

[QUOTE=honda606,Aug 26 2004, 06:21 AM] Listen to the advice being given here.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, that's more than "major." I'm surprised they just didn't total that. In NJ, 80% of book value will get it totalled.

My old Integra was once in an accident and the estimate to repair was $10k. Once the body shop started doing the work, the costs just shot up. Trust me, ONCE THEY START PEELING BACK PARTS, THEY WILL FIND MORE DAMAGE. My $10k repair shot up to $16k and my car was ultimately totalled.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:36 AM

similiar to my accident. I'll try to find a link. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=207491&st=25

I was originally quoted $12-13k worth of damange, but mine was considered totalled because I left the top down and it rained that night in the impound lot. Lucky me I guess. But even if I didn't the tow truck guy said it was totalled because, "The front frame is buckled and you can't fix that. It's totalled."

Get it totalled, it's so much easier on you, time, money, headache, etc. Besides, you won't feel the same trying to drive the same car again once it's just fixed. I know I wouldn't.

Good luck,

LT (Hey I just realized that I'm over 2 yrs old now on s2ki)
Old 08-26-2004, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by TJS,Aug 26 2004, 07:34 AM
BTW, the estimated damage right now is about $22500.
oh nevermind it will be totalled, they just have to do a tear down. Once they see additional damage it'll be toast. Don't rush it and get a lawyer (yet), because the original estimate is ONLY what the appraiser can pysically see. They can't guess at damage behind the sheet metal even if they know it's there. So the shop will begin pulling it apart, when they realise more is messed up the insurance adjuster will come out take a look at it, realise it's over tge thresthold and total it. It just takes time, don't rush it.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bobushka king,Aug 26 2004, 07:51 AM
oh nevermind it will be totalled, they just have to do a tear down. Once they see additional damage it'll be toast. Don't rush it and get a lawyer (yet), because the original estimate is ONLY what the appraiser can pysically see. They can't guess at damage behind the sheet metal even if they know it's there. So the shop will begin pulling it apart, when they realise more is messed up the insurance adjuster will come out take a look at it, realise it's over tge thresthold and total it. It just takes time, don't rush it.
Something the insurance gal said, was that they'll keep fixing it until it comes within $1000 of the payout value! So, that could be $31000...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 AM

wow i never heard of that before?!? Maybe it's your insurance company or because it's a new car.... i don't know what to say. Just hope there is a lot more hidden damage (which there always is in big hits like that). If they do decided to fix it, make sure it's being fixed by a good shop and not a butcher. Ask about a gaurentee, anything less than a year don't go there. Look for one with a lifetime gaurentee. Also look around the shop and the cars that they are fixing. If they are just replacing fenders on 91 honda civics look for another shop. Look for a place that is doing higher quality cars (BMW's, Mercades, etc.) and a place that has someone who can handle a big hit like that. Some body men are intiminated by a wreck that big, ask if they have a heavy collision guy. If they fail any of the following take it to another shop. With that much damage you want it done right, the first time. If it is you'll never know that it was in an accident in the first place.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 AM

You could always go in there, create your own damage....lol that would easily go over the 80% range. I am just kidding. Sorry to hear about your car. Hope everything works out for you. I am gonna put in a vote for trying to get Insurance company to total the car . Frame damage is not a good thing to have in your cars history.

Peace

NMC
Old 08-26-2004, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought air-bag deployment was a sure total??? Guess I thought wrong
Old 08-26-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by bobushka king,Aug 26 2004, 10:51 AM
Totally agree here. There could be an additional 2500 in unseen damanges. It's totalled!

MPO..... I wouldn't drive that any more than I could throw it!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by bobushka king,Aug 26 2004, 07:51 AM
because the original estimate is ONLY what the appraiser can pysically see. They can't guess at damage behind the sheet metal even if they know it's there.
That was my experience as well.

Quick Reply: What not to do with your S2000...