S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What is the most common driver's error in S2K accidents?

Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the most common driver's error in S2K accidents?

I realize that often an S2000 car accident is caused by forces beyond the driver's control. But in the cases in which the driver is at fault, what is the most common error?

I hope that the answers to this question may provide me and possibly others with information that will help avoid an accident.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most governments / police etc say the biggest factor is speed.

However in saying that, very few accidents are attended by the appropriately qualified crash investigators, usually it is only the fatal crashes where this happens. Most other accidents are usually attended by normal patrol officers, and therefore the assumption that speed was the main factor may be a little incorrect.

I would have to say that most accidents are caused by driver error of some sort. My broad opinion would be "not driving according to conditions" (this would also include speeding).
Old 05-20-2004, 02:14 AM

I would imagine spinning out on a wet surface, or too much throttle on a corner as is the case with most RWD cars.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cockiness. "Cockiness is that feeling you have just before you know better."

If you just drive the car, it's like many others. It's when you start pushing it in the wrong places/times, especially when wet or showing off, that you get into trouble most frequently. From Conedodger's signature:

"Because certain owners had discovered inappropriate vehicle rotation at the point of disappearing talent..." Barry Winfield C&D Magazine
Old 05-20-2004, 05:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Excessive speed.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Purple Haze
I realize that often an S2000 car accident is caused by forces beyond the driver's control...
I 100% disagree with your statement. Common crashes of the S include:

hydroplaning on wet roads. the cause of which is driving on bald tires or too fst for conditions. the situation is under DRIVER's CONTROL. get new tires or don't drive too fast.

crashing on snow or slush-covered roads. the stock tire on the S is a soft compound tire not designed for cold weather driving. this type of crash is completely avoidable by using the proper equipment (ie another form of transportation or dedicated snow tires

over steer into another object. simply too much speed or improper throttle and/or brake inputs. DRIVER ERROR in all cases.

sure there are no-fault accidents and accidents where another party is at fault, but those stories are few and far between. most S's are wrecked bacause the driver screws up.

$0.02
Old 05-20-2004, 05:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
"Because certain owners had discovered inappropriate vehicle rotation at the point of disappearing talent..."
Old 05-20-2004, 05:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by jguerdat
"Because certain owners had discovered inappropriate vehicle rotation at the point of disappearing talent..." Barry Winfield C&D Magazine
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77
Old 05-20-2004, 05:58 AM

Most accidents ARE due to driver error.
1) Driving beyond skill level or not paying attention.
2) Not driving to weather and road conditions.
3) Not maintaining car properly, mainly inappropriate tires.

There are some conditions where it is not driver error. Even so a driver should be able to aviod or minimize them when it does happen.
1) Sudden unpredictable change of conditions. Someone else doing something stupid, unseen road hazard (oil...), animals running accross road.
2) Mechanical failure.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:33 AM

Just driver stupidity. Never drive beyond the limits of your equipment.

Quick Reply: What is the most common driver's error in S2K accidents?