S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What is the legacy of the S2000?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts
Default What is the legacy of the S2000?

Now that our S2000 is out of production and well on it's way to become a collectable car I was wondering about what impact it's had on the automotive world.

Certainly it wasn't the first car of the rebirth of the two seat convertable sports car genre. That honor goes to the Miata, but it did have some features that did help to shape the current generation of cars.

One that I can think of is the emphisis on frame rigidity. Another is the high reving engine.

What do you think? What is the legacy of our car? What impact has it had on the cars that followed it?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I think it made Porsche build a better Boxster. It certainly hasn't had a lasting impact at Honda imo - the bloodline died with the car and Uehera's retirement if you ask me. I think the S2000 came out at the acme of Honda's sporting desire, the culmination of the groundwork laid out by F1, the NSX and VTEC, but it never progressed from there.

If anything, the S2000 is the legacy of Honda of the 90s and how great it was. I'm not saying Honda is bad today, its just different, and the focus isn't on sports cars any more, its on being eco-friendly. The S2000 and its legacy have no place in that world apparently.

At least for enthusiasts, the S2000 will be one shining point along the history line of a great roadster/sports car, and convertible. Its one of the best combinations of fun, power, size, utility, speed, and design, and still the only bridge between a Miata and a Boxster imo, along the lines of a lightweight, tossable car versus a cruiser or bruiser.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, frame rigidity started with older Hondas, I know the Prelude was one of those cars that used a really rigid body for cornering.

I know in Japan, it started the NA 2.0 liter engine challenges, that's on legacy. It also made BMW make a better Z car, and as before, it made Porsche improve their roadster.

It left the legacy of the high reving 2 liter street engine...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinking (or hoping) that around 2015 Honda will re-embrace the spirit. It seems like Honda is pulling a Toyota of the 2004-2010, and pulling out of the performance category. But I'm hoping that within 5-6 years they too will pull a toyota and release something great (i.e. The re-incarnation of the 86 name). I think the problem that Honda ran into was that the powerplant was dated. As amazing of a car as it is and I absolutely love, it just seems dated compared to some of the stuff that's been comming out.

Ford has found a way to release a high performing, pretty economical v6. I'm hoping Honda may find a way to do the same. Perhaps a higher performing variation of the accords v6, or something new altogether. I'm hoping if/when they decide to release another performance oriented car they will keep the roadster spirit; perhaps a mechanical hardtop convertible to make us top down, and hardtop junkies pleased at the same time.

Perhaps my ideas are about as out there as dragons, unicorns and the black lotus but here's to hoping
Old 05-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

S2KI of course!

What other car forum is as good a this one?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash,May 11 2010, 01:37 PM
I'm thinking (or hoping) that around 2015 Honda will re-embrace the spirit. It seems like Honda is pulling a Toyota of the 2004-2010, and pulling out of the performance category. But I'm hoping that within 5-6 years they too will pull a toyota and release something great (i.e. The re-incarnation of the 86 name). I think the problem that Honda ran into was that the powerplant was dated. As amazing of a car as it is and I absolutely love, it just seems dated compared to some of the stuff that's been comming out.

Ford has found a way to release a high performing, pretty economical v6. I'm hoping Honda may find a way to do the same. Perhaps a higher performing variation of the accords v6, or something new altogether. I'm hoping if/when they decide to release another performance oriented car they will keep the roadster spirit; perhaps a mechanical hardtop convertible to make us top down, and hardtop junkies pleased at the same time.

Perhaps my ideas are about as out there as dragons, unicorns and the black lotus but here's to hoping
Your statement that "... As amazing of a car as it is and I absolutely love, it just seems dated compared to some of the stuff that's been comming out" just seems so wrong. You have to understand that the S2000 and its powerplant were designed in the late 90's and released in 1999. Of course it's going to seem dated compared to the V6's, V8's, and turbocharged I4's coming out over TEN years later.

What I'd like to see in the S2000's successor is a something like the 3.7L V6 from the Acura TL that one of Honda's racing teams recently put into an S2000 CR.

Imagine an NA V6 making 320-350 hp and revving at 8-9k RPM... that'd be something beautiful. Similar to the 370Z's V6 or the E46 M3's I6 but with a higher redline.

Also, even though it'd drive the cost of the car up, a light weight retractable hardtop similar to what the E92 M3 or new Miata's have would be ****** sexy as hell. If the car was kept at 2900-3000 lbs and had a retractable hardtop and a high-revving, high powered NA 6 cylinder engine, it'd be a dream come true (for me.)
Old 05-11-2010, 01:52 PM

The S2000 will go down in history as a true driver's car, Honda's gift to enthusiasts, and one of the funnest cars to drive.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Still to early to tell. The cars getting cheaper pretty soon all the Honda-tech guys are going to buy one and ruin it.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated,May 11 2010, 01:51 PM
Your statement that "... As amazing of a car as it is and I absolutely love, it just seems dated compared to some of the stuff that's been comming out" just seems so wrong. You have to understand that the S2000 and its powerplant were designed in the late 90's and released in 1999. Of course it's going to seem dated compared to the V6's, V8's, and turbocharged I4's coming out over TEN years later.
You just said, EXACTLY what I said. How was I wrong again?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it's how capable the car was at it's $30K price point. A precisely engineered vehicle that used lightweight, balanced with great suspension and adequate power with Honda quality and reliability to boot. A modern lotus is similar, but makes too many compromises for a true "street" car. For me you'd have to look at a Cayman S or 911 to find a better sports car.

Quick Reply: What is the legacy of the S2000?