S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What kind of oil do you guys use on your S2K

Old 08-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OEM Honda oil is actually high in moly, up near the 250ppm range. Mobil 1 SuperSyn is about 80ppm. Redline has a whopping 600ppm in moly.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
OEM Honda oil is actually high in moly, up near the 250ppm range. Mobil 1 SuperSyn is about 80ppm. Redline has a whopping 600ppm in moly.
But even at 600ppm, does it do anything useful?
Old 08-07-2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by xviper

But even at 600ppm, does it do anything useful?
Moly is just one of many useful additives - the issue is balance. Oil companies buy their additives from companies like Lubrizol (www.lubrizol.com). It is the Balance of all that chemistry makes a difference. There are no miracles in a bottle.

I do not know how to post pics or attach documents on this website - can someone help? I have a nice text document that lists some of the common oil additive compounds and what they do.

Zinc di-thiophosphate (ZDP or ZDTP) is a great anti-wear compound. Red Line and Amsoil have high levels of it - API-certified oils may not, because the phosphorous will take its toll on the catalytics around 70k or so, depending on the burn rate of oil intrinsic to the engine, and whether it has single or multi cats, dual exhaust, etc. Since 100k emissions warranty is common, the mfrs. pressed the API to reduce phosphorous levels. Now, tribologists have adjusted the formulations of additives to try to compensate, but I do not believe they have 100% offset the loss of protection when ZDP is reduced. That is why I only use Amsoil or Red Line in my performance cars - not so much the synthetic, but the additive blend is ideal. Plus, Amsoil has much higher TBN (total base number) than any other oil, which allows it to be used much longer before the baturally-occuring acidification of the oil occurs, mostly from the reaction of heat and sulfur to form corrosive sulfurics.

Even if you change your oil every day, you cannot add more zinc.

I would not squeeze assembly lube in and pray it does not clog the oil pickup screen.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage
I would not squeeze assembly lube in and pray it does not clog the oil pickup screen.
I should have put in these:
I shall go back and do so now. I was being a bit sarcastic since so many are so hyped up about this "special" break-in oil.
So, what do you think about this special oil?
Old 08-07-2003, 04:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JPit
[B]I am currently using oil extreme - www.oilextreme.com.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does "dino" refer to dinosaur, as in fossil fuels?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by DFul4d
Does "dino" refer to dinosaur, as in fossil fuels?
Yep! As opposed to "synthetic".
Old 08-07-2003, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe synthetic is superior over regular motor oil since it does have to qualities to protect better at higher temperatures etc....
anyways the point is that i use syn. just to make sure... also changing oil at an "unnecessary" intervals such as 3000-5000 is "just to make sure" i mean is there anything wrong with that?
Old 08-08-2003, 03:22 PM

You mean, morally wrong, or intellectually wrong? Of course not - it is just wasteful. To me it is like letting the water run in your sink for hours at a time for no reason.

I have been a user and student of oil technology, esp. synoils, for many years. My point is (was) that mineral oils have become outstanding, and unless one regularly exposes one's car to conditions where the special qualities of synoil are exploited, it is likely overkill for many people. What an individual chooses to do is right for him or her. Right?

Synoil is great if:

1) You race and the engine gets extremely hot.
2) You drive in the arctic or frequently at temperatures below 0 deg Fahrenheit
3) You want your car to last 20 years
4) You like the extra margin of confidence (mental insurance)
5) You want the best for your baby.
6) You want to extend drain intervals and reap the benefits of reduced hassle and some MPG benefit

BTW, the lower limit for practical and safe use of a mineral 10w30 is 0 deg F.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:27 PM

One other thing - synthetic generally does not reduce the use of non-renewable resources. They are man-made, but not from materials made by Man.

Most synoils are made from mineral oils, or natural gases. Esters can be made from the chemical reaction of alcohols and acids. So we could theoretically get the best base oils (esters) from corn, which is renewable, and for which we would only have to go to Iowa, not some monarchy in the middle east.

Quick Reply: What kind of oil do you guys use on your S2K