S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What is it with Honda steering?

Old 10-04-2001, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading a very frusturating comparison in CAR about the new Civic Type-R, I started to wonder - what is up with Honda steering especially on their high-performance cars. Every comparison, evaluation, and test of a Honda whether it be a great publication or not always has a small beef with the steering set-up. Reports usually go as follows - 'very accurate, quick - but a bit numb". (read CAR, Top Gear, AutoCar, even some US rags)

I generally have to agree with what has been reported...where as a Boxster would score 10 out of 10 on a steering evaluation, the S2000 would score a 9 out of 10 - so not much of a difference but a difference reported by almost all who have tested both cars.

The news on suspension changes for MY '02 (and maybe the Type-V) only confirm the almost perfect but not-quite-there steering feel.

While I really enjoy my car, If I could magically change one thing it wouldn't be giving it 50 lb-ft more of torque - I would like some more steering feel. Does Honda know how to make a car with excellent steering feel (what generally is thought of as excellent) but chooses not to? - I keep wondering is it just all up to personal taste?
Old 10-04-2001, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hardly describe the S2000 steering as "numb." Whoever has is a numb-nuts .
Old 10-04-2001, 03:51 PM

I agree that it's numb. Quick and accurate yes, but devoid of feel. The weight does not correspond with cornering loads and you don't get enough feel of the road surface either. It feels a bit "fly by wire". Even my WRX has better steering feel, even if it's less responsive.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:19 PM

Seems to me to be a very conscious choice on Honda's part to set the electric power steering as they do. Personally I like the consistent heavy feel. It doesn't get lighter at speed or too heavy when parking. But I suppose it could be interpreted as a bit 'wooden'. I think the same choice could be said of the suspension. Most road harshness is well damped compared to a more hard core race machine. Does this mean less road feel? Probably, but I can live with it.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:28 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

<scratch head> I don't get it. I've driven some cars that get rave reviews on steering - '86 911, '00 Boxster S, for example - and I don't find the S2000 to be lacking at all. <shrug> Maybe I'm weird.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:35 PM

The only numbness that I feel this steering system has is that the dead spot on center is a bit too wide (you can make very minute adjustments left-to-right while on center which do nothing). This is of course merely my own taste, and I'm sure that they did this to minimize the way road ruts and seams and such would disturb the steering on this road car with such a stiff suspension.

With all of this wonder whether Honda CAN make a car with awesome steering, I have to point to the steering system of the CRX's. The CRX had fully manual steering with no power assist, and it was wonderful. Unfortunately it didn't have broad appeal (at least in the US) because the drivers here prefer an over-boosted rolling sofa rather than a responsive automobile (present company excluded).

Clark
Old 10-04-2001, 04:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, as I recall it was an early disappointment. Of course I have adjusted over two years but I found both the steering and brake feel pretty numb compared to the BMW I was driving. The brakes improve with lines and pads but the steering you just have to get used to.
Old 10-05-2001, 03:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my test drives I was disappointed that the S 2000 didn't have the same feel as the Boxster ... or my old '89 Si Hatchback with manual steering. I have gotten used to it, but wish for more direct feedback. Unfortunately, this is not what most car manufacturers perceive is what most of the car-buying public wants.
Old 10-05-2001, 04:24 AM

The steering IS a little numb on the S2000. Not like a Ford or anything, but not even as good as my old '87 Integra.
Old 10-05-2001, 04:39 AM
Tox

I also agree about the numbness, but there's compensation: the faster you go, the better it feels. Above 80, IMO the steering feel is perfect, which amazed me the first time because it was so unexpected for this kind of car. What you lose is the kind of high sensitivity that a Boxster has at lower speeds, but what you gain is super-stability on the highway.

Whether this compromise is appropriate for this car depends on what kind of driving you do. It may not be optimal for Sunday recreating on mountain roads, but I'd guess it's much better for a fast road course and it works beautifully on the superslab. But whatever it is, it's the best high-speed steering feel I've ever experienced. My BMW 325i is twitchy by comparison.

Quick Reply: What is it with Honda steering?