S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What glue for soft top patch?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Here is what I did:

MY00, 2nd owner, original top. I was getting wear in the usual areas above the driver and passenger shoulders. I ordered some soft top material from hardtopguy (I still have some if anyone is interested). I also bought the Shoe-Goo and a kit for leather/vinyl seat repair by Permatex. I sewed the holes shut, applied the patch pieces to the inside of the top with Shoe-Goo, removed the threads (just use a small pair of scissors with a sharp edge or a razor blade) then applied the black vinyl repair stuff over the repair on the outside of the top. The kit came with a heat tool which I used to cure the repair.

The patches have lasted all through the winter. I do notice they are more visible as they "dry out", but a treatment with 303 Aerospace makes everything nice and black. You can hardly notice the repair.

Some of the Mid-Atlantic guys are doing a top replacement this weekend and I'm planning to head down and let Jeremy (installer) evaluate my top. I'll pass along any additional info I may get from him.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I'm using the Locktite stuff now - it seems to last about 3 months before giving out and needing to be redone due to use and wind pulling at it.
I wish I'd listened to you. It did indeed work fine for a while, while I had the top always up. I finally did the other patch and started using the top. Immediately, both patches fell off.
The other problem is that the stuff dries really quickly, so it's hard to apply to both sides, line it up, and put it on while it's still wet at all.

So Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Repair Adhesive is out.

Next, I'm going to take qbnlykwhoa's advice and use Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant.

qbnlykwhoa, if you're reading, why did you say to put the coated side up? I figured bonding the similar materials (fabric to fabric) would work better, and the coated side might wear better against the metal bits. But yours worked way better than mine, so I'm willing to try it.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by P1h3r1e3d13
Originally Posted by Saki GT' timestamp='1400860762' post='23172865
I'm using the Locktite stuff now - it seems to last about 3 months before giving out and needing to be redone due to use and wind pulling at it.
I wish I'd listened to you. It did indeed work fine for a while, while I had the top always up. I finally did the other patch and started using the top. Immediately, both patches fell off.
The other problem is that the stuff dries really quickly, so it's hard to apply to both sides, line it up, and put it on while it's still wet at all.

So Loctite Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Repair Adhesive is out.

Next, I'm going to take qbnlykwhoa's advice and use Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant.

qbnlykwhoa, if you're reading, why did you say to put the coated side up? I figured bonding the similar materials (fabric to fabric) would work better, and the coated side might wear better against the metal bits. But yours worked way better than mine, so I'm willing to try it.
1680D Fabric has a poly coating on one side that makes it repel water. I'd imagine this is why the shiny side is facing up. So if any water happens to get in through the tear, the fabric acts as another layer in the top.