S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What is the fascination with Drag Racing?

Old 03-07-2001, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I mean, Really? And I am not talking just about the S2K. I just don
Old 03-07-2001, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes I think the same thing - but when you do it, its just the rush, the pure adrenaline rush. of course in the s2k, I think its pretty useless, but when you've got an amerian pushrod torque monster underneath your fingertips, then its a different story - and what a rush it is. the smell, the sound, ahhh.

the things I dont get about drag racing is, once you know what you run, then that's it, right? well, of course there are some improvements you can make...but I believe on the road track is where most cars come a lot closer competitors.
Old 03-07-2001, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I fully understand the rush. Hence my comment about sub 10 second cars.

I have gone for rides in some american muscle and a number of 4 bangers.. It really isn't that big of a rush.

The time in a modded Viper was a rush.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its fun because you visist the drag strip today and all of the modified 4 bangers are wooping the crap out of the modified V8's now-a-days. Not had to find civics running 11 second quarters now and still being driven on the street.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:00 PM
Administrator

But why not go to a track, and each run 1 lap and see who is quicker.

So what, someone can drop 20k into a civic that will out run a V8 from a stop. Someone could drop the same amount of money into a V8 and kick the pants of civic, so it's all about who can spend more money. Throw a couple turns in it and it is less about who can spend more money and more about who is a better driver.

On the track, a good driver in a gen1 rx7 can catch and pass decent drivers in $250k Ferarri's
Old 03-07-2001, 09:10 PM

Krazik, do you realize that it costs about $20 to go bracket racing for a night? You get a few runs in. Do you know how much it costs to get licensed to actually race SCCA? And then there is car prep, your talking about $3000 bucks. And then a days racing expenses at an SCCA event is gonna be about $500.

That might be a clue.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bobway
[B]Krazik, do you realize that it costs about $20 to go bracket racing for a night?
Old 03-07-2001, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by Schatten

there's always the SCCA Solo II route - under 30 bucks each day - approximately 4 runs.
I thought we were talking about racing? j/k
Old 03-07-2001, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Bobway
Originally posted by Schatten

there's always the SCCA Solo II route - under 30 bucks each day - approximately 4 runs.
I thought we were talking about racing? j/k
so, I guess we should distinguish head-to-head vs. times? wait, times, that's what you get at the drag strip anyways, right? lets see... well, it might just be my own opinion, but the skills learned from merely performing in Solo II events are more tangible in everyday driving, evolving a much safer driver around a bunch of guys and gals who love helping each other. The environment around drag racing are usually bets that revolve around grudge matches. ...and don't even think about challenging that last comment - those are the streets where I grew up.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:39 PM

Actually I would really like to try Solo II or similar, sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe this summer.

I have been hanging around SCCA racing for a while and know it is very expensive, and that is why you see most of the kids in there 16 second stock civics and integras at the dragstrip. I would much rather see them there than on the street.

The thing about the dragstrip is that it is usually running the same event every week for 6 monthes. Its not like the guys have to come up with elaborate schedules and meets, they just show up, race and go home.

Also, bracket racing is all driver and mechanic skill, and has little to do with what car you have. The points champion at our local track two years ago had a F150 extended cab 4x4! He would have sent most of the S2000's here home eliminated after the first run. He did to my Buddy's M3, we were all laughing about that, tires smoked off the line. Consistancy is all that matters.

It's all about what your into, some people like to build radio controlled sailboats...

Quick Reply: What is the fascination with Drag Racing?