S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What domestic owners just dont understand.

Old 02-24-2002, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What domestic owners just dont understand.

Look, im not here to bash domestics for any reason. But the whole cracking on S2000s for lack of torque is growing tired. The s2000 owners bought their cars because that is what they wanted. Sure, I could have gotten a new SS for less than the S2000, but I didnt want that. High 13 seconds with superb handling and styling keeps me content. I know that it works both ways, but lately it seems I have expiernced some particularly annoying people when it comes to judging my car. But like I said, we bought our cars for a reason, I could easily sell my car and get a fast import, I choose not to. I just wanted to vent.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:37 AM

It isn't just the domestic owners. The same issue is pointed out by the Miata, RX-7, BMW and Porsche forums. Heck, I bet it is mentioned in every thread about S2000s on every board. Who cares what they think?

Tanq
Old 02-24-2002, 08:45 AM

Look at it this way...that is the ONLY thing that they can point out, so it keeps coming up...how many things can you point out about domestic cars?
Old 02-24-2002, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]It isn't just the domestic owners.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at it this way...that is the ONLY thing that they can point out, so it keeps coming up...how many things can you point out about domestic cars?
No it's just the biggest defeciency. Others (in my opinion) include, sketchy nature near the limit, improperly tuned chassis (oversteer), build quality issues (TSB 54 in particular), plastic rear window (pre 2002), horrible factory radio, seat fade issues, and various rattles (in mine at least).
Old 02-24-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by steve c

No it's just the biggest defeciency. Others (in my opinion) include, sketchy nature near the limit, improperly tuned chassis (oversteer), build quality issues (TSB 54 in particular), plastic rear window (pre 2002), horrible factory radio, seat fade issues, and various rattles (in mine at least).
this car wasn't designed for the average driver in mind IMHO. without proper driving school lessons, i don't think anyone should be flying down the road in the S, or try to push it to its limits without knowing what to do when the car loses control. oversteer is a performance characteristic (ask Prolene about his Porsche, or any other Porsche 911 owners for that matter), not a deficiency - you just need to know what to do with it.

sketchy nature near the limit? i've gone fish tailing a few times with my original S02s, and quite honestly the car was very predictable at the limit given proper correction. inexperienced drivers who over-corrects or slam on the brakes will be rewarded with various unpleasant results.

the second gear grind was something that should have been addressed before the car came out though, i agree. maybe they should devise some type of tranny fluid cooler.

these are personal opinions only.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:39 AM

hmm, i can help you solve the above issues. My 01 S is build very well IMO. I had the TSB-054 buzzing noise done, NO MORE Noise. My rear plastic window looks like glass, i also have a hard top, so its definitely glass now . Sold my 01 Radio for 70 dollars and bought a 02 radio for 150 = total cost 80 dollars. Zaino my leather seat once every 3 days. No cracks no scratches. No rattling noises in my car whatsoever. You just have to know how to take care of your car. I also put a towel underneath my butt when i sit down to make sure there isnt anything jagged sticking out of my pants that can scratch my leather seat.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bayarea408
[B]I also put a towel underneath my butt when i sit down to make sure there isnt anything jagged sticking out of my pants that can scratch my leather seat.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:14 PM

Like you said those are your opinions, since I do not have my S2000 yet, I cannot say you are wrong. But sketchy nature near the limit...show me a domestic car other than the corvette than come come close to an S2000 in STOCK form. Driver skill is still the most limit factor here imo.

Build issues...like I said I don't have mine yet so I cannot comment, but TSB 54 was addressed in the '02 and that is all I care about...it is a Honda. During my limited seat time, I was nothing but utterly satisfied.

Plastic rear window...no problem for an '02.

Horrible factory radio...only stock radio I have ever kept was the JBL stereo in my Toyota Solara, I have always changed the rest...especially the ones in the domestic cars that I have owned.

Seat fade and rattle...I will have to see, but judging from the various domestic and Japanese cars I have owned...I am not concerned about rattling in the S2000 vs the rattling in a domestic.

As Mingster commented these are just MY opinions of the car.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All good points -- but the comment about 911's and oversteer has not really been an issue for 10+ years. Even then -- your approach into and reactions while experiencing oversteer in corners is different with rear engined cars. In the case of the 911 Porsche eventually took the nasty snap oversteer out of the chassis in a number of ways, geometry, spring rates, tires and electronics.

The S02's are about as progressive a tire as you can get -- but the nature of the S2000 is not to warn or recover with ease. I too enjoy the ease with which the tail can be swung out -- my daily commute in Seattle has me taking the right hander at the end if I-90 (headed towards the Baseball stadium) -- that corner in particular late at night begs you to lay down 200 miles of rubber and feel like a pro driver doing it. The reality however is that any slide indicates a loss of traction and control. I have spent thousands of dollars on driving instruction and many many hours behind the wheel of various cars on road courses and auto-x's -- but I am not arrogant enough to believe I will ever be a good enough driver to get away with hanging the ass end out forever.

Personally I would like to see a bit more understeer in the car -- which given enough horsepower can be overcome with use of the throttle -- maybe that would not work in a car where you have to be in the right gear all the time to lay down the power. Dunno.