S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what do you guys do to prevent dents/dings

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm giving up and blaming god.
double parking causes haters to key your car. plus you get a ticket if a cop spots you
Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When taking the car off my private property, I only take it places where if I have to park, I am with the car the entire time...like when pumping gas, or sitting in a parking lot talking to a person while I am at or in my car.

The car must never be left alone without my personal supervision and oversight.

One time, my girlfriend talked me into going into the supermarket while she waited in the car for me in the far reaches of the lot. It took me a few days to let loose of the stress from that experiment...that was the longest 9 minutes of my life. Even now, writing about it, my stress is rising.

Since then, I have found it better for my health to enforce the rule that my car shall be in my immediate custody/care/supervision at all times, no exceptions, unless it is on my private property.

This of course limits the places and times I may choose to use the car...but mental health trumps convenience.

No dings yet.

For the more adventuresome there are some products to aid in the protection of your vehicle. No guarantees. Past Returns Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Performance.

Outdoor Car Capsule

The Door Fender

Traffic Cones
Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 01 and my paint is completly SHIT so I don't worry thank god. I want a paint job so bad but that is when I know I will be anal and notice every dent so I don't bother lol.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

I try to park next to curbs like other people said. Also, scoop out the parking lot. Parking next to another "higher class" or "moddified" car is a safe car to park next to in my eyes.

I DD my car only when its nice out. Just remember, its just a car. Dont get too mad abou this kind of stuff. Paintless dent repair FTW
Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 AM

i guess i got off lucky, at my work there is there parking spots all the way at the end of the building. one has a mini storage shack and the other two i take up
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ruprecht,Apr 5 2008, 11:01 PM
When taking the car off my private property, I only take it places where if I have to park, I am with the car the entire time...like when pumping gas, or sitting in a parking lot talking to a person while I am at or in my car.

The car must never be left alone without my personal supervision and oversight.

One time, my girlfriend talked me into going into the supermarket while she waited in the car for me in the far reaches of the lot. It took me a few days to let loose of the stress from that experiment...that was the longest 9 minutes of my life. Even now, writing about it, my stress is rising.

Since then, I have found it better for my health to enforce the rule that my car shall be in my immediate custody/care/supervision at all times, no exceptions, unless it is on my private property.

This of course limits the places and times I may choose to use the car...but mental health trumps convenience.

No dings yet.

For the more adventuresome there are some products to aid in the protection of your vehicle. No guarantees. Past Returns Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Performance.

Outdoor Car Capsule

The Door Fender

Traffic Cones
where do i order the door defender? i think i want this... and i think i want that bubble for my garage.

i already have a cone...
Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by JVS2,Apr 5 2008, 09:40 PM
Is there a law against double parking? Just double park if you have to.
Double parking is asking for trouble, you will get dented or keyed if you do it.

I typically park next to other cars where you can tell that the owner is as careful with their car as I am with mine. I also make it a point to park at the end of the lot, farthest away from the entrance; I have a theory that people who are unwilling to walk the extra hundred feet are also too lazy to care about their vehicle or anybody else's vehicle.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:02 AM

it permanently drives me up the wall avoiding dents.

i do the obvious, park at the end of the car park, in an end spot, but if i get the car right over, some dosey bugger in a big people carrier with 400 kids parks badly, right up next to me.

i've gotten into the habit of parking obviously angled over two spaces, tends to do the trick

really though, it's a pet hate.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had my car for a little over a month, and door dings do worry me.

At work, I park farther away from the other cars, even to where the morning shift turnover doesn't affect it.

And whenever I go shopping, I put it in the far end of the lot, straddling two spaces. I haven't had a problem with police or traffic enforcement yet- but I guess they can plainly see that my car is at the far end all alone.

Door dings worry me more than vandalisim: People say I look pretty intimidating, so if the vandals see me getting out of my car they've gotta think twice about pissing me off and getting caught. Also if its vandalism, I think it will be easier to claim on insurance than a careless door dinger who is not around when you notice it in your car.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM

i know what you mean about the vandalism. its such a pain when people are careless or just plain assholes.

on a side note: that door defender thing is $89! unbelievable! i'm gonna fabricate my own and report the cost here. anyone know where to get magnets?
i got the idea of making it out of those "noodle" pool toys you can easily get form walmart for 3-4 dollars... i just dont know where to get magnets. i can then wrap it in some cloth.

Quick Reply: what do you guys do to prevent dents/dings