S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Originally Posted by Chris Stack' timestamp='1350831558' post='22098220
I consider my car mostly stock, it has a VooDoo Ti shift knob, an Alpine HU, and some Polk components. Other than that no mods. And I can bring it back to completely stock in <2hrs if necessary (kept all the OeM parts).
See, I wouldn't consider your car stock. Nor would I purchase it if I was looking.I've seen far too many hack-job radio installations to trust people with them. Sure you could install the stock speakers and radio back in, but who knows what the condition of the wiring is or if you cut up some rubber grommets or permanently modified something to run wiring.
Originally Posted by acn684
If you change the radio, it implies that you had to take apart the car in some way to get access to the wires. The "negative" feeling with new owners is that he/she might not have done a good job taking apart/putting back together the car, installation might not be as proper, and/or what if this wasn't the only "mod" he/she has done.Minor things like radio, side markers, shiftknob can all be changed back rather quickly and/or explained without too much of a hit to the value of the car. If you keep the OEM parts even better.
That radio attitude is pretty extreme. At thought point you might as well never buy a used car because there are many things possible that you're unlikely to find even in an extensive pre-purchase inspection.

Maybe they over torqued the oil drain bolt. Maybe the oil filter is loose. Maybe they didn't flush the brake fluid so the caliper pistons are corroded. Maybe they did flush the brake fluid but over tightened the bleeders. Maybe they didn't properly torque the axle nut. Maybe they replaced the air bags with counterfeit ones.

If you're that worried about people doing piss poor jobs, then I'd advise against ever going to a hospital.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the radio thing is a little extreme as well. Everyone who has seen my S says it is an excellent example of what an s2000 is. The paint and interior are in great shape and I always keep it clean and take care of it with proper maintenance.

Like I said, I doubt I'll ever sell it, but I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on my car, say, at a meet, and think it has been "beat on" because the side markers are clear... That's just sad.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
That radio attitude is pretty extreme. At thought point you might as well never buy a used car because there are many things possible that you're unlikely to find even in an extensive pre-purchase inspection.

Maybe they over torqued the oil drain bolt. Maybe the oil filter is loose. Maybe they didn't flush the brake fluid so the caliper pistons are corroded. Maybe they did flush the brake fluid but over tightened the bleeders. Maybe they didn't properly torque the axle nut. Maybe they replaced the air bags with counterfeit ones.

If you're that worried about people doing piss poor jobs, then I'd advise against ever going to a hospital.
I disagree to an extent. I don't have a problem buying a used car, but definitely wouldn't buy a modified or previously modified car. I shopped for STI's for awhile - '05 Aspen White is what I wanted. Could not find a single one that had not been modified so I ended up not buying one. My S2000 was used, it came with a thick ass folder of maintenance records and receipts and was from an older 60+ year old couple that had a Prius as their daily driver. Had my mechanic look it over and purchased it without hesitation.

There's a difference between buying a used car and blindly buying a used car
Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Originally Posted by dwight' timestamp='1351175057' post='22107574

I disagree to an extent. I don't have a problem buying a used car, but definitely wouldn't buy a modified or previously modified car. I shopped for STI's for awhile - '05 Aspen White is what I wanted. Could not find a single one that had not been modified so I ended up not buying one. My S2000 was used, it came with a thick ass folder of maintenance records and receipts and was from an older 60+ year old couple that had a Prius as their daily driver. Had my mechanic look it over and purchased it without hesitation.

There's a difference between buying a used car and blindly buying a used car
I'm not surprised that you say disagree, but I think your response to Chris Stack about his shift knob, Alpine HU, and Polk components speaks for itself.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ewcollins
My 2000 S2000 is stock except for: Tires (Bridgestone Protenza RE960AS Pole Position), Battery (Duralast 51-DLG) and Windshield.

The only recall items that I had done were Taillight Side Markers (SB 04-033) and Spark Plugs (SB 02-042).

Everything else is just as it was when the car was purchase on 11/22/1999. I have a little over 120,000 miles.
How you've owned your S that long and done 0 to it amazes me ...my cars stock except for cold air intake , Invida q300 exhaust , 17 inch wheels , fatter tires , better brakes , better rotors and a cloth top other than that we have the same car ...opps forgot Hfc and larger rear sway bar ...other than that its just like new
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Si Isnt Enough
I think the radio thing is a little extreme as well. Everyone who has seen my S says it is an excellent example of what an s2000 is. The paint and interior are in great shape and I always keep it clean and take care of it with proper maintenance.

Like I said, I doubt I'll ever sell it, but I don't think it's fair to pass judgement on my car, say, at a meet, and think it has been "beat on" because the side markers are clear... That's just sad.
U really care what ppl think that much , buy a clue ...and do what u want to YOUR car ..cares what ppl think "impress you "
Old 10-25-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by 03 9g
Originally Posted by Si Isnt Enough' timestamp='1351177385' post='22107683

U really care what ppl think that much , buy a clue ...and do what u want to YOUR car ..cares what ppl think "impress you "
.....what?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Si Isnt Enough

I'm not saying that's my view, but I'm saying that's how people interpret things. With radio/speakers and certain parts of the car - usually people need to cut wires, make permanent modifications to it. Some people don't like a part being permanently altered. Example why I said keep the stock radio so you can just change it back out at one point.