S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Originally Posted by Chris Stack' timestamp='1350831558' post='22098220
I consider my car mostly stock, it has a VooDoo Ti shift knob, an Alpine HU, and some Polk components. Other than that no mods. And I can bring it back to completely stock in <2hrs if necessary (kept all the OeM parts).
See, I wouldn't consider your car stock. Nor would I purchase it if I was looking.

I've seen far too many hack-job radio installations to trust people with them. Sure you could install the stock speakers and radio back in, but who knows what the condition of the wiring is or if you cut up some rubber grommets or permanently modified something to run wiring.
If I sold my car, it would be with the aftermarket radio in it. If the potential buyer wanted the original, I have it in a dusty box somewhere, but there's no way I'd turn down an otherwise good car because it had an aftermarket radio. That seems like a simple fix.

If you want pristine, but new, or be prepared to look long and hard I guess. To me it seems easier to accept that a used car will have some modifications and character unique to it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would never assume a stereo shop would do a good job installing anything. I did my own stereo in my S2000. Bought a plug to plug into the factory harness. All ofthe original wiring is 100% intact so I can easily take the Alpine HU out and simply plug the factory radio in and everything works. In order to keep the controls on the left of the cluster I did the Modifry DCI. Obvoiusly I have made mods to my car, they are listed in my sig.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan' timestamp='1350931887' post='22100684
[quote name='Chris Stack' timestamp='1350831558' post='22098220']
I consider my car mostly stock, it has a VooDoo Ti shift knob, an Alpine HU, and some Polk components. Other than that no mods. And I can bring it back to completely stock in <2hrs if necessary (kept all the OeM parts).
See, I wouldn't consider your car stock. Nor would I purchase it if I was looking.

I've seen far too many hack-job radio installations to trust people with them. Sure you could install the stock speakers and radio back in, but who knows what the condition of the wiring is or if you cut up some rubber grommets or permanently modified something to run wiring.
If I sold my car, it would be with the aftermarket radio in it. If the potential buyer wanted the original, I have it in a dusty box somewhere, but there's no way I'd turn down an otherwise good car because it had an aftermarket radio. That seems like a simple fix.

If you want pristine, but new, or be prepared to look long and hard I guess. To me it seems easier to accept that a used car will have some modifications and character unique to it.
[/quote]

Having bought two used vehicles with terribly hacked up radio installs (electrical tape, exposed wires, missing cables, poor installation hardware, etc) I've just kinda written off buying a car with aftermarket radios. Picked up my car bone stock from an older couple and would probably go that path again. Maybe the S2000 is different being a slightly more expensive vehicle than my previous purchases, but I've seen some hack jobs in S2000's as well. I think a lot of people are ok with 'good enough' and not actually take the care/time to do a proper install.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I still consider my car stock, even with the lenses changed and a radio installed in the future. I'm not even worried for a second that it's a "hack job" since it's being installed by a member who has nothing but good feedback from other members.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Banned

When some potential buyers see changed corner lights or ugly "S" emblems on the steering wheel and center caps, they think there is a chance it has been beat on. I passed on one back in 2008, that was just as I described. I ended up picking up a bone stock, no mods whatsoever from the Honda dealership and I'm very happy.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM

The lenses on the side, not the corner lights in the headlight. I can hardly imagine why clear lenses that would have anything to do with the car being beat on. That's far from the case.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by newyawkballa
When some potential buyers see changed corner lights or ugly "S" emblems on the steering wheel and center caps, they think there is a chance it has been beat on. I passed on one back in 2008, that was just as I described. I ended up picking up a bone stock, no mods whatsoever from the Honda dealership and I'm very happy.

Newy' : I am with you. It's all a matter of what people want. I recently purchased a 2005 with 4,200 miles - no modifications. I wanted as close to as orginal as possible -- with the low miles. no scratches or chips on the paint, plenty of tread on the tires, and no visible modifications I felt I was getting pretty much a "new" car. Of course there is no way of completely knowing it was always kept in the garage, never saw a drop of rain, and wasnt beat on like the previous owner claimed - but I like my chances.

FWIW imo modifications are modifications - even the little things -- it doesn't matter...the radio, the shift nob, the lights, air box are stock... or their not.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:54 PM

Check my sig, I would have to say that's the definition of unmolested
Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 AM

My 2000 S2000 is stock except for: Tires (Bridgestone Protenza RE960AS Pole Position), Battery (Duralast 51-DLG) and Windshield.

The only recall items that I had done were Taillight Side Markers (SB 04-033) and Spark Plugs (SB 02-042).

Everything else is just as it was when the car was purchase on 11/22/1999. I have a little over 120,000 miles.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:57 AM

If you change the radio, it implies that you had to take apart the car in some way to get access to the wires. The "negative" feeling with new owners is that he/she might not have done a good job taking apart/putting back together the car, installation might not be as proper, and/or what if this wasn't the only "mod" he/she has done.

Minor things like radio, side markers, shiftknob can all be changed back rather quickly and/or explained without too much of a hit to the value of the car. If you keep the OEM parts even better.

Quick Reply: What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?