S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1350827576' post='22098166
[quote name='CoolGuy094' timestamp='1350824671' post='22098124']
To me, stock and unmodified mean different things as well. I feel like the word "stock" is more of a "current condition" state, while "unmodified" carries more of a history to it. If a car is stock, it means it has no modifications in its current state, but may have been modified in the past. Unmodified means it has never need modded in the history of the vehicle.

Stock cars really aren't hard to find, but you never know what a previous owner could have done to the car in its history. Unmodified cars are likely much more rare.

To classify as "stock" for me, it means just as it was when it rolled out of the dealer's parking lot. One thing I can't stand when shopping for cars, and is almost always a deal breaker, is an aftermarket radio!
Just wondering, why is an aftermarket radio a deal breaker for you? I can understand in a case where it was obviously installed in someone's back yard with his two buddies and there are wires/cuts/etc done unprofessionally, but otherwise is there any particular reason? Take the S2000 for example: the stock radio is total shit. Worst I've ever heard in a car made this millennium. I would actually much prefer an aftermarket radio (entire system for that matter, speakers and all) because it saves me hundreds of dollars.

To the topic at hand: I consider a car stock if it doesn't have any mods outside of tires. Something like your car could be advertised as "stock aside from the following minor cosmetic changes: <list>"
Honestly I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it is just a huge turn off for me on a car. Even cars that I'm not looking to buy it bothers me. I know they aren't cheap (at least not all of them) but it just looks cheap to me. Just one of those mental things I guess.

However! The radio in the S does suck royally.
[/quote]

Best part about the S radio is you can put some gaudy-but-functional aftermarket deck in it and then close the cover and never look at it.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange how something as minor as lenses on the side of the car get people all ruffled like the car is ruined suddenly. Especially since its tasteful and can be changed back in a matter of seconds. I can't see how the car has been "molested" like it had a laundry list of parts on it that were installed by god knows who. Swapping lenses back before a sale (which no one would be able to tell) is so minor that I can't even imagine why it would matter. To each his own, I guess....

The stock radio is trash and I wish someone had already swapped it out. If I didn't like the one they had, I would probably just change it again. I don't know how people could ever enjoy music in the car with the stock audio system, but I guess those that don't care about it must not care about music either.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Everything original except tires...

My 01 isn't stock IMO because I have a robbins top w glass rear but most would still consider it to be
Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 PM

I would think 100% stock would mean no mods to appearance or performance. I can see it also meaning the engine bay has not been tinkered with. When I was looking for a car, I did have someone tell me their offer was "stock" except for upgrades that did not affect the engine...strut bars, mirrors and weight savings items. I did not think the car was "stock".
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM

pointless thread.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_9K_ALL DAY
pointless thread.
Thanks for your useful contribution
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Some mods are desirable, some are not. I don't know of anyone who has stated that would only look at a pure stock car. Most people want a clean example with a good history, and they are fine with some mods so long as they agree with them. Highly personal items like body parts and wheels can effect the desirability of the car - I would never consider a car with hella-fail crap on it because the suspension is ruined and the frame has probably taken some big hits from scraping the ground, but an S with an aftermarket sound system and maybe decent wheels? Sure.

Originally Posted by AK_9K_ALL DAY
pointless thread.
Pointless post. From a pointless guest?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZilla
stock or unmolested, imo, means absolutely nothing was changed. your small changes to me means it is no longer stock.
Although with the moddest changes you're looking to do have no effect on the driveability of the car. I myself would see a car with just wheels, clear markers and a stereo as something that would not bother me if I where looking for a "stock" car. Any mods to the suspension or drivetrain are cars I would avoid. Thats just me though
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
I consider my car mostly stock, it has a VooDoo Ti shift knob, an Alpine HU, and some Polk components. Other than that no mods. And I can bring it back to completely stock in <2hrs if necessary (kept all the OeM parts).
See, I wouldn't consider your car stock. Nor would I purchase it if I was looking.

I've seen far too many hack-job radio installations to trust people with them. Sure you could install the stock speakers and radio back in, but who knows what the condition of the wiring is or if you cut up some rubber grommets or permanently modified something to run wiring.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

To me stock or unmodified means as it rolled off the factory line... no mods. That said, I personally can handle some mods to a car if tastefully done. I still consider my S2K CR stock although I do have a Mr. Alex Ti Shift Knob, K&N air filter (stock air box), and I plastidipped my front/rear H emblems. All things can be reverted back easily though so I do consider mine stock.

Quick Reply: What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?