S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?

Old 10-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?

Time and time again I see the topic of there being less and less stock or unmodified cars around and it got me wondering what people consider that to be. Do you mean exactly how it looked coming out of the factory, or no "go fast" parts? My only plans for changes made to my 06 are clear side lenses, black side emblems, and a different radio.

So if you came across my car while shopping for a stock or unmolested car, would that fall into the category? I'm not looking to sell at any point, but it's just something that pops into my head on occasion.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:17 PM

Depends what the next owner is looking for.. Also, Would you be including the stock parts so that if the next owner would for any reason like to switch it out? My opinion, I would consider that stock. Any engine modifications designate a car to be a modified from stock car.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock or unmolested, imo, means absolutely nothing was changed. your small changes to me means it is no longer stock.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM

yup, totally unchanged...except tires.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

obviously just my opinion, stock=base car, regardless of wheels and tires.

but to some lightweight forged wheels and/or whatever tire could technically take it out the "stock" classification.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To me, stock and unmodified mean different things as well. I feel like the word "stock" is more of a "current condition" state, while "unmodified" carries more of a history to it. If a car is stock, it means it has no modifications in its current state, but may have been modified in the past. Unmodified means it has never need modded in the history of the vehicle.

Stock cars really aren't hard to find, but you never know what a previous owner could have done to the car in its history. Unmodified cars are likely much more rare.

To classify as "stock" for me, it means just as it was when it rolled out of the dealer's parking lot. One thing I can't stand when shopping for cars, and is almost always a deal breaker, is an aftermarket radio!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A car is stock as long as all non service items (discluding brakes) have not been changed. If only filters and liquids have been changed, it's still stock. I won't knock a car over the technicality of a oil or air filter if it's non oem, or switching, to amsoil, that's still a stock car in my eyes. As stated above, a car is stock only in present time. "unmodified" would insinuate the car has been stock, over its lifetime.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
To me, stock and unmodified mean different things as well. I feel like the word "stock" is more of a "current condition" state, while "unmodified" carries more of a history to it. If a car is stock, it means it has no modifications in its current state, but may have been modified in the past. Unmodified means it has never need modded in the history of the vehicle.

Stock cars really aren't hard to find, but you never know what a previous owner could have done to the car in its history. Unmodified cars are likely much more rare.

To classify as "stock" for me, it means just as it was when it rolled out of the dealer's parking lot. One thing I can't stand when shopping for cars, and is almost always a deal breaker, is an aftermarket radio!
Just wondering, why is an aftermarket radio a deal breaker for you? I can understand in a case where it was obviously installed in someone's back yard with his two buddies and there are wires/cuts/etc done unprofessionally, but otherwise is there any particular reason? Take the S2000 for example: the stock radio is total shit. Worst I've ever heard in a car made this millennium. I would actually much prefer an aftermarket radio (entire system for that matter, speakers and all) because it saves me hundreds of dollars.

To the topic at hand: I consider a car stock if it doesn't have any mods outside of tires. Something like your car could be advertised as "stock aside from the following minor cosmetic changes: <list>"
Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I consider my car mostly stock, it has a VooDoo Ti shift knob, an Alpine HU, and some Polk components. Other than that no mods. And I can bring it back to completely stock in <2hrs if necessary (kept all the OeM parts).
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
Originally Posted by CoolGuy094' timestamp='1350824671' post='22098124

Just wondering, why is an aftermarket radio a deal breaker for you? I can understand in a case where it was obviously installed in someone's back yard with his two buddies and there are wires/cuts/etc done unprofessionally, but otherwise is there any particular reason? Take the S2000 for example: the stock radio is total shit. Worst I've ever heard in a car made this millennium. I would actually much prefer an aftermarket radio (entire system for that matter, speakers and all) because it saves me hundreds of dollars.

To the topic at hand: I consider a car stock if it doesn't have any mods outside of tires. Something like your car could be advertised as "stock aside from the following minor cosmetic changes: <list>"
Honestly I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it is just a huge turn off for me on a car. Even cars that I'm not looking to buy it bothers me. I know they aren't cheap (at least not all of them) but it just looks cheap to me. Just one of those mental things I guess.

However! The radio in the S does suck royally.

Quick Reply: What do you consider "stock" or unmodified?