S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What to do? didn't come with a spare

Old 10-17-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I had a similar experience with my Audi S4. I bought it new from a dealer in Pennsylvania and had it shipped by motor carrier. I met the truck at a nearby Home Depot parking lot, checked the overall condition of the car and "took delivery". When I got the car home in my garage I gave it a more thorough going over and saw that the spare was missing....18" alloy wheel, full size tire and all! When I called the salesman the next day, he told me that he specifically checked the spare tire well right before the car was loaded and that it must have been stolen in transit. To my relief he stepped up, apologized for the situation, took the spare from another S4 on his lot and had it to my door in three days. That's exactly what a quality dealer would do.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by RTZX9R,Oct 17 2006, 03:59 PM
I would jsut go to another dealership and gank a tire from an S2000. I have found unlocked brand new S2000's at several west palm dealerships when I was looking. Personally, I would gank it from Ed Morse Honda as they are complete bufoons and suck.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 AM

I faced the same problem when I bought my S2K from a private party -- he had removed the spare to install an amplifier for the sound system.

A tire dealer said the easiest solution was to find a used tire/hubcap place -- they usually have those under-sized spares that will fit until you get the flat tire fixed.

Ultimately I decided to go without -- that's what my AAA membership is for
Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gank a spare tire... better yet, jack one of the ones with the rim from the dealership. sell it off and buy a new spare tire, then have a couple of beers from the money you have left over. perfect plan!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:49 AM

Nah, I'd suggest the looking at the glass half full attitude.

Think of it this way, your S2k will be able to out accelerate other S2ks because yours is lighter!

Anyway, it's not like S2k sparewheel is a full size aluminum alloy wheel... Why would anyone lie to the dealership about missing this lousy spare wheel? Dealership really should've just cough up the wheel even if they didn't make the mistake.

I suppose thats the difference between a Honda dealership versus a higher scale dealership such as Audi.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt stick a spare tire on my s2000. i think its just too small...
i specially wont do it if the rear wheel was the one that went out.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree any reasonable dealer should give you a new spare but in their view....

Why did you wait 11,000 miles? I can see where their management is coming from because most would notice it much sooner but oh wellz....

Sometimes it's not worth all the effort and just to buy the spare online. But the principle is definitely what we are talking about here....good luck and hope you a get your well deserved spare.

rick
Old 10-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Why would he check for the spare???

Its understandable that you just noticed this.

that dealer will get in trouble with honda corporate if you tell them. they fill out a delivery checklist with every new car and make the salesmen and his manager sign it. If they checked off that the showed you the spare and they didnt then shame on them.

report them.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shotiable,Oct 18 2006, 12:50 PM
i wouldnt stick a spare tire on my s2000. i think its just too small...
i specially wont do it if the rear wheel was the one that went out.
The owner's manual explains how in the event the rear is the flat one, you are supposed to put the front rim on the rear and the space-saver (spare) on the front.

You never want to drive around with the space-saver on the back. The difference in diameters between the two sides would play havoc on the differential.

Word to the wise.....
Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

^^ YES! Please pay attention to Hockey's post!

Quick Reply: What to do? didn't come with a spare