S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What Is The Craziest Vehicle That Tried To Race You?

Old 11-04-2000, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RT:
[B]I'm thinking most of the people I encounter don't think they can beat the S2000, they just want a small demo
Old 11-04-2000, 09:50 PM

I get all the "sport" trucks reving their engines, usually just let them go unless it's a totally clear road. No problemo beating them anytime I haveway try. I got a fixed-up VW bug (vintage late '60) with a trumpet for an exhaust. It was loud, but slow.
Old 11-04-2000, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First in line at a red light, I had a driver of a local muni bus open is window, shifted the bus into neutral, reved the engine a couple times and asked me if I wanted to race!

I laughed so hard!! we was just playin' with me, and proceeded to compliment the car.

I wound the car out to 9k in 1st and 2nd for him.
Old 11-05-2000, 04:47 AM

For all of you who've been challenged by pickups, I had a '00 Ford F150 SVT Lightning pull up beside me. We were about 1/4 mile from a freeway on-ramp and I needed to be in the right lane (occupied by him). We're stopped at a red light, I didn't even know that this guy was in a playful mood, I figured I'd just get off the line and move around him. WRONG! Suffice it to say he was with me the whole way (after two of my 8700 RPM shifts) and I decided to back off the accelerator before things got outta hand. Found out later that his truck comes stock with a 5.4L Triton V8, 360 HP, 440 ft-lbs. of torque and can run 0-60 in 6.0 !
Old 11-05-2000, 06:01 AM

A couple of pickups (and yes it's true, they aren't necessarily push-overs), and just the other day, a chrysler 300M. I wasn't even thinking about racing but as we came off the light he gunned it and I instictively reacted. I overtook him very quickly as v-tec engaged in 1st geat. I thought that these cars had pretty good off the line numbers so maybe the driver let off a bit.
Old 11-05-2000, 07:44 AM

Bet, looks like you're gonna have to learn to work your car better. Yes, those Lightings are fast. They're 0-60s are in the high 5s-low 6s. You still should've beat him. C'mon! Now that Lightning guy's gonna think he's got the s-it ride cuz you lost to him.
Old 11-05-2000, 07:46 AM

Also,

S2000 guys... great cars and I'm sure some of you don't care to beat other cars in street races... but in a controlled race as in needing to merge onto one lane or just have a little fun and show the other person you're faster than him by providing enough of a hint that "yeah, I CAN go faster, but I won't".... please don't put I beat this sport truck or an American famiy sedan... it's really not that crazy nor is it very flattering for S2000's capabilities.
Old 11-05-2000, 08:24 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems like every Chrysler 300 driver wants to race all the time. It's crazy!
Old 11-05-2000, 10:13 AM

That's weak. 300Ms? They'll get toasted by Maximas. Don't even bother, guys.
Old 11-05-2000, 10:28 AM

Two women in a Toyota Camry pulled alongside at a red light . I was on Ocean Drive in Corpus Christi, Texas. The driver and passenger of the Camry were clearly in their late 30's but insisted on stoplight drag race like a couple of teenagers in their parents' car. I accepted their complements and politely waved them off for the next few lights until they prevented me from entering the turn lane. A downshift to second put the pair in my rearview quickly as I departed for a sprint across the bay bridge.
This car begs the need for a race or "show" in some of the most unlikely drivers I've met on the road. And yes there is always a pickup truck used to asserting its' dominance over any "little" roadster. This roadster is no Miata.

Quick Reply: What Is The Craziest Vehicle That Tried To Race You?