S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

what company makes our stock seats?

Old 01-05-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps our seats were "designed" by Recaro but not manufactured by Recaro. Is that a possibility?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by OverBooster,Jan 5 2006, 12:34 PM
Perhaps our seats were "designed" by Recaro but not manufactured by Recaro. Is that a possibility?
Doubt it.
The one piece of info in that regard would be the book dedicated to the S2000 by Dan Gurney, and if memory serves, there is no mention of Recaro anywhere. FWIW, there is mention of Bridgestone designing the tires specifically for this car, but drivetrain, chassis, brakes, softtop, etc. all designed and built by Honda.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dangarza, you say not to perpetuate a myth, so stop doing so yourself. I don't know about you, but I work on my own car. The brakes are most certainly not made by Honda, they are made by Nissin.
This I know because I change my own brakes and I see their logo stamped on the calipers. And Bridgestone did size the tires specifically for the S as they are not equivalent to the 225 size on their aftermarket versions. They also specifically designed the S02's on the Porsche 911 as well.

Now back to your bullet points you made above.
1) That maybe so, but do you have HARD evidence as you would say of that? I can understand if one mag said the seats were Recaro, but pretty much every automotive magazine and online car buyer sites such as edmunds, intellichoice, carconnection, etc. states the same, are they all wrong?
2) We just proved that Recaro's website list didn't include cars such as the Jetta GLi which have their seats WITH the logo that is visible. The makes the list just as inaccurate as the mag sources you shot down
3) They typically do it, but not always right? A good example I have with another component, look at the older Honda radios, it uses Alpine components which is made evident by the CD changer output which is a direct plugin to alpine units. Yet it doesn't say Alpine anywhere on the radio.
4) Let me get this straight, you went through the trouble of removing the seat in your RSX to see this but somehow it was to much trouble to do it on the S2k? Riiight.

I guess we should just agree to disagree. I'll believe the numerous car rags and online consumer sites that say the seats are Recaro. You believe that one list that you posted up as evidence from the Recaro site despite it's obvious omissions of a few VW, BMW, and MB seat applications..
Old 01-05-2006, 02:18 PM

Tell me what car mags have stated that we have recaro seats, one? two?
Where did they get that info? Honda? Honda just told Carmenohio that these seats are NOT made by Recaro.
Recaro lists a lot of Hondas and acura NSX (a prominent model that remained basically unchanged, as ours, for many years) but does not list the S2000? Why?
Why do you have so much faith in unsubstantiated claims?
As I mentioned earlier, in Dan Carney's book, dedicated solely to the S2000, where he goes far deeper into details about the origins, development and componentry than any car magazine possibly could, there is absolutely no mention of Recaro being involved at all.
As you say, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
And that's OK, it's all fun.
Cheers,
PS: I did not remove the seats on my RSX, did take a hard look though.

Old 01-05-2006, 02:45 PM

I actually saw it printed in R&T, MT, Autoweek, C&D.. I don't place most my faith in auto mags, but when it's reinforced in numbers, then I find it to be more substantial.
Also I had a friend who worked in the Honda consumer relations dept. They are all contracted in and usually don't know such details like who the mfg of the seat /wheels/radio etc., may be. That is why I have little confidence in that source.

But like you said, it's all in good fun. Heck, neither of us feels it's important enough to yank out the seat and check anyway..
Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have affliation with American Honda of Torrance. It's a Recaro. Case closed.

Here is some pics of us and the japanese R&D that flew over from Japan to talk to me about the "S".

BC
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Jan 5 2006, 05:56 PM
I have affliation with American Honda of Torrance. It's a Recaro. Case closed.
Here is some pics of us and the japanese R&D that flew over from Japan to talk to me about the "S".
Amen. Aleluyah!
BC: You are some 80 posts too late
Do you know if the seats are made in Italy or Japan? (Just curious)
Old 01-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=dangarza,Jan 5 2006, 05:08 PM] Amen. Aleluyah!
BC: You are some 80 posts too late
Old 01-05-2006, 04:14 PM

C'mon, we all know they're made in Taiwan..
Old 01-05-2006, 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Back-cracker,Jan 5 2006, 03:56 PM]