S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wet roads are our enemies

Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and the S2000 continues to rank up there among the worst ratio of skill-to-chassis.

The S2000 is a phenomenal car on wet roads. Please don't help perpetuate the myth that is isn't.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM

Most sports cars handle just fine in the rain with skilled drivers. After some minor adjustments (think air pressure and strut bar tension) you can even race in the rain without much trouble.

That being said, if you aren't overly skilled/trained, it's best to take it easy with any rwd car in wet conditions. Fwd cars have their own limitations in the rain but while going straight they are much easier to control (under steer in the wet will put you in the grass just as quickly as over steer if you are on the track).

Based on my amateur racing experience and having driven many vehicles, any rwd car with a highly rigid chassis and aggressive camber settings can be a handful in the wet. NSX's with their aggressive suspension geometry in the rear are a good example.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 AM

To the OP: Hope the damage isn't too bad.

Also, PLEASE don't redline or VTEC your car 3 minutes after a cold start. It's the best way to reduce engine life right after missed downshifts.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by sierra2kilo,Sep 27 2010, 06:17 PM
...and the S2000 continues to rank up there among the worst ratio of skill-to-chassis.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...

Most reviews and tech analysis of the AP1 and to a lesser extent, the AP2 will confirm that the car is a bit spin happy and unpredictable at the edge of the envelope. Summer tires that aren't warmed up WILL contribute to the problem also.

SO yeah, these cars are loose in the rear WAY more than some others, that is why you see so many of these things with front and back side impacts...spin out...

Its not just your imagination. It doesnt mean that they are bad cars ( far from it), just that they require more knowledge and feel to drive to their limits. And many folks think there limits are about 3K above what they really are...

Old 09-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Seattle2k,Sep 21 2010, 12:27 AM
Wet roads aren't your enemy. You are your enemy.
seriously, learn how to drive a car. go to an autocross or hpde.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 AM

Happens to me every once in a while when it hasnt rained in a while. Glad that you didnt get hurt or anyone else.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by lowerlattitudes,Sep 28 2010, 09:04 AM
Most reviews and tech analysis of the AP1 and to a lesser extent, the AP2 will confirm that the car is a bit spin happy and unpredictable at the edge of the envelope.
Stop blaming the car. It's neither "spin-happy" nor "unpredictable at the edge of the envelope".

It's a well-balanced chassis. It doesn't suffer fools gladly, but it shouldn't. (If it did, it would drive more like a Miata.)
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one fault I find in the s2000 in terms of it's handling in stock form actually has nothing to do with it's suspension or handling. For me at least it seems that the stock vtec engagement point is poorly placed. For me I like to enter a turn around 6-7k, as after the apex it gives me plenty of room to throttle in the turn without having to shift in the turn. At stock engagement, this presents a problem as I obviously don't want to dip in or out of vtec mid turn. Besides the obvious power gains, this is where i felt that tuning had a drastic affect on my handling.... I no longer have to be overly concientous (spelling?) about where I am in my powerband because I will never be below 4.5k, or relatively near it at all when attacking attacking a corner.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Sep 28 2010, 08:11 PM
The one fault I find in the s2000 in terms of it's handling in stock form actually has nothing to do with it's suspension or handling. For me at least it seems that the stock vtec engagement point is poorly placed. For me I like to enter a turn around 6-7k, as after the apex it gives me plenty of room to throttle in the turn without having to shift in the turn. At stock engagement, this presents a problem as I obviously don't want to dip in or out of vtec mid turn. Besides the obvious power gains, this is where i felt that tuning had a drastic affect on my handling.... I no longer have to be overly concientous (spelling?) about where I am in my powerband because I will never be below 4.5k, or relatively near it at all when attacking attacking a corner.
A good car person would put money into the car to remedy this situation.
A good driver would adapt to it.

Quick Reply: Wet roads are our enemies