S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wet roads are our enemies

Old 09-21-2010, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol just drive slow dam it lol im 20 and i drive like a grandma in the rain ...i even take the off ramps slow when its dry....
Old 09-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by IAmTheRealAsif,Sep 21 2010, 12:14 AM
NEVER beat on the car in the rain
The joys of trackdays.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,Sep 21 2010, 05:44 AM
Keep your eyes open and watch for changing road conditions (gravel, leaves, puddles). This isn't a video game. Surfaces change and have different grip. A puddle didn't just "happen to be there." You failed to scan the road and continued with your plan on auto-pilot.
Nailed it.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by trancerz,Sep 20 2010, 09:02 PM
Guys!!! It wasn't raining!!!!! I just mentioned rain as a reason why there was a random puddle in the middle of the street. The last time it rained was 4 days ago, and it just sprinkled.
So you were redlining during a hailstorm with slick road conditions and zero visibility?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:48 AM

TIP: DON'T DRIVE AT HIGHER RPMS IN WET ROADS.
Thanks for this pearl of wisdom.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 AM

You need to understand the workings of the Torsen diff to explain what happened to the OP.

The diff is a torque sensing or Torsen diff and will apply a percentage of the available torque to the wheel with the most grip, but only when it sensing slip in one of the wheels. It wont limit slip like a normal LSD, it just apportions the available torque in whichever way it decides.

When you floored it through a puddle - one of the wheels would have lost traction so the diff would have diverted some of that torque to the other wheel. If one wheel has more torque than the other the back end will step out.

Best to never apply full throttle in situations where one wheel has more grip than the other. If they both had zero grip then the diff will operate like an open diff and just spin without trying to split the torque.

Count your lucky stars as these kind of episodes normally end up in the armco.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When posting topics like this, expect to get a wide variety of responses.

This car is a hoot to drive and will reward very good driving... but unfortunately, it does not coddle ya when you make a mistake. With this being said.... Like others have said earlier, it is a great idea to autocross your car and learn the limits of it in a controlled environment.

Another thing I have learned (from a totally different car... and the hard way), tires makes a world of difference in how well it handles in the wet. I had a set of tires with plenty of tread, but on damp roads, it just would not stop worth a crap. I bought new tires (and a different kind) and that same car in the same environment would stop on a dime.

Lots of variables to consider, but learning how to drive your particular car in a controlled environment is not only smart, but a blast!! Plus, be sure to keep very, very good tires tires on it.... don't go by just tread height.

Hope you get your car put together soon and enjoy it!

-Dave
Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i drive like a grandma normally, especially when its wet and during/after a rain. Watch the road is the best advice!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by trancerz,Sep 20 2010, 11:22 PM
1. Not at all. Just started driving so it should have been cool. It was about 80 degrees, very humid.

2. The engine was off for a good 3 hours before I started it up and drove for 3 minutes before it happened. I don't think the engine was fully warmed up.

3. Thank you, good luck to you also.
First of I am glad you ok and you have gained more respect for the car. For future reference, don't start driving aggressively until your tires are warmed up. Cold tires are less "sticky", so it's no surprise that you lost traction when you hit a puddle (this probably would've happened even if the tires were warm, but it is even more likely to happen with cold tires). Take the car to an empty parking lot when it's raining out and play with it, get some experience about how the car responds when driven hard in the rain. The important thing is that no one was hurt, and you have learned something.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JLUDE,Sep 21 2010, 05:43 AM
I knew that RWD plus wet roads = bad things before I bought my S2000.

When I got it, I went out to a huge parking lot in the dry and in the wet to test the handling limits of the car under pavement conditions and see where it broke loose and how to keep it under control. This helped me immensely.
That sounds like a fun way to learn!

Quick Reply: Wet roads are our enemies