S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wet roads are our enemies

Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys!!! It wasn't raining!!!!! I just mentioned rain as a reason why there was a random puddle in the middle of the street. The last time it rained was 4 days ago, and it just sprinkled.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle2k,Sep 20 2010, 08:27 PM
Wet roads aren't your enemy. You are your enemy.

If you stomp the gas pedal to the floor, while in the rain, with ANY car, you're bound to lose traction and thus lose control.
More so with the S2000 than with "any" car.

The hair trigger rear end is the price you pay for go kart handling.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Wow, how do you NOT redline the car? The first day i got the car redline through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Honestly I haven't had a problem yet in the rain, in fact when it rains i love driving it, so easy to drift, but you have to be careful in the puddles, because of hydroplaning. Glad you learned it sucks learning the hard way, i know, my ankles are paying for it now.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:31 AM

I have never understood peoples fear of driving in the rain in a rear wheel drive sports car. Maybe this is because I live in Houston and am used to it? Driving fast in the rain is not even that big of a deal unless you drive stupid.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep your eyes open and watch for changing road conditions (gravel, leaves, puddles). This isn't a video game. Surfaces change and have different grip. A puddle didn't just "happen to be there." You failed to scan the road and continued with your plan on auto-pilot.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 AM

Received 3,794 Likes on 2,674 Posts

glad you're not hurt and the car can be saved.

I don't think this issue has anything to do with ap1's, in that same situation an ap2 would have spun out along with most medium powered rwd vehicles on the road. Yes the ap1 has a sensitive rear end but it wasn't the determining factor here.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its RWD.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoleCailey,Sep 21 2010, 03:31 AM
I have never understood peoples fear of driving in the rain in a rear wheel drive sports car. Maybe this is because I live in Houston and am used to it? Driving fast in the rain is not even that big of a deal unless you drive stupid.
This.

When i was about to buy my s2000, i remember reading threads on this forum about how dangerous this car is on wet roads and in the rain. People writing about how even on a straight road this car would bite you if you're not extremely carefull... "never vtec in the rain!" etc.

A few weeks after i bought the car and drove it in the rain a few times i still tried to understand these posts, because they made no sense to me.

It's an RWD car with no assists (AP1), of course it'll behave like that.

I've driven other RWD cars before this one (RX-7, 944 turbo, Miata). They all behave similar in wet conditions. None of them are dangerous if you are carefull.

I vtec my car when it's raining. Read the road, know your car and don't drive around thinking it'll handle like it's on rails in the rain.

PS: If you feel like you don't know what to do when the tail starts to slide, do some auto-x or track days, go practice in a big parking lot when it rains, etc.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:49 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

You can hit anything in the road - it could just have easily been a spot of sand, grease, etc. Its just bad luck that you were on it when you hit the slick patch - you really have to keep an eye on the road surface.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jibber951,Sep 21 2010, 04:27 AM
This.

When i was about to buy my s2000, i remember reading threads on this forum about how dangerous this car is on wet roads and in the rain. People writing about how even on a straight road this car would bite you if you're not extremely carefull... "never vtec in the rain!" etc.

A few weeks after i bought the car and drove it in the rain a few times i still tried to understand these posts, because they made no sense to me.

It's an RWD car with no assists (AP1), of course it'll behave like that.

I've driven other RWD cars before this one (RX-7, 944 turbo, Miata). They all behave similar in wet conditions. None of them are dangerous if you are carefull.

I vtec my car when it's raining. Read the road, know your car and don't drive around thinking it'll handle like it's on rails in the rain.

PS: If you feel like you don't know what to do when the tail starts to slide, do some auto-x or track days, go practice in a big parking lot when it rains, etc.
IM with him... I have an 01 and even when I had stock everything and SO2's i did not think it was bad in the rain at all. Im a volunteer Firefighter and frequently have to get to the firehouse in a hurry even in bad weather and NEVER had an issue even using VTEC in the rain, just gotta be smooth and kno how to catch the car if something goes wrong. this car is honestly better in the rain than my moms civic or my last car, an RSX-S... it puts the power down better in the rain, and stays hooked up in turns better, its just a matter of realizing that the consequences of not being smooth with the throttle are more severe and anticipating it.

DISCLAIMER: I do a lot of autox, as often as 2-4 times a month, and have done a lot of rainy weather autox too.

Quick Reply: Wet roads are our enemies