S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Wet roads are our enemies

Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet roads are our enemies

Beginning note: I drive a 2000 ap1(stock everything) with rear tires at about 80% thread left. If I stuck a penny in between treads in both rear tires, less than half the penny would stick out. It hadn't rained for a couple days but there were still small puddles isolated around town.

So today, I decided to throttle to redline in first gear for the heck of it because in my 8 months of owning an s2000, I've never redlined it ever(serious). Just vtec a couple times a month. As I'm full throttled pass the red light and approaching 8 thousand revs, I shifted into second at 25 mph, and it just so happened that my shifting point was right under a huge puddle of water. My tail end slid under me and I was about 40 degrees diagonal to the road and ran over a curb.

This has NEVER happened before, in vtec or not, while driving straight. I kept the steering wheel straight the whole way through and my car just slid sideways like I had no tread at all in an ice rink. I guess the phrase "driving an ap1 is like taming a wild beast" is no joke.

Before anyone comes in and bashes me for putting others in danger, I know that am I am thankful I'm the only one paying for consequences. Note that I did full throttle from a red light so no cars were even within 50 yards from me. Don't tell me you guys have never redlined your car for fun at a stoplight, in FIRST gear. It just so happened to be under a freaking puddle of water. TIP: DON'T DRIVE AT HIGHER RPMS IN WET ROADS.

I have learned my lesson, and I hope you guys don't have to the hard way. If anyone can give me any tips on what to do while an s2000 is tailing out would be greatly appreciated. I just turned my steering wheel to the other side as fast as possible to avoid collision with a brick wall.

I'm posting this expecting to get flamed, and I deserve it. Just don't make the same mistake I did, because I'm sure many s2000 owners out there like to redline ALOT.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM

I hardly get on mine as well but this almost happened to me one day on an early morning. Learned my leason . Hope you get everything fixed!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by JakenBake,Sep 20 2010, 07:51 PM
I hardly get on mine as well but this almost happened to me one day on an early morning. Learned my leason . Hope you get everything fixed!
Thanks, I am a very handy man with mechanic experience that can do everything himself so I'm not supporting my local Honda dealership with their insane prices for everything.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Were the tires warmed up? What was the outside temperature? Which tires?

Also, was the engine warmed up (e.g. were you able to get into full vtec mode)?

Glad you're doing OK and that you're capable of fixing things yourself at a decent price... Stay safe
Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM

Sorry this happened to you.

NEVER beat on the car in the rain
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD,Sep 20 2010, 08:12 PM
Were the tires warmed up? What was the outside temperature? Which tires?

Also, was the engine warmed up (e.g. were you able to get into full vtec mode)?

Glad you're doing OK and that you're capable of fixing things yourself at a decent price... Stay safe
1. Not at all. Just started driving so it should have been cool. It was about 80 degrees, very humid.

2. The engine was off for a good 3 hours before I started it up and drove for 3 minutes before it happened. I don't think the engine was fully warmed up.

3. Thank you, good luck to you also.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wet roads aren't your enemy. You are your enemy.

If you stomp the gas pedal to the floor, while in the rain, with ANY car, you're bound to lose traction and thus lose control.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle2k,Sep 20 2010, 08:27 PM
Wet roads aren't your enemy. You are your enemy.

If you stomp the gas pedal to the floor, while in the rain, with ANY car, you're bound to lose traction and thus lose control.
I don't mean to be harsh, but if you reread my original post, it wasn't raining. Imagine a very straight evenly paved road, with a small decline somewhere in the middle. This decline held a bit of after-rain that I happened to shift to second in. Wrong place at a wrong time kind of thing. I've driven in the rain before and loss bits and bits of traction but nothing to major so I know about driving in the rain in these darn cars. Gosh I love them, this is actually my second one, but damn the tail comes out way too easily.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive according to weather conditions
Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 PM

You've never redlined your car before and you decide to try it for the first time in the rain with a puddle approaching?

Well there's your problem...

Quick Reply: Wet roads are our enemies