S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Were you ever hated in HS because of your car?

Old 05-21-2010, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the ghetto side of town and
a lot of people with crappy cars at my school got keyed, egged, threat notes

its really more if you've done something to provoke the others or give them a reason to mess with you

my school consisted of 50% latino, 48% asian, and 2% black and white(rare)

btw the most expensive car in my lot driven my a high schooler was a rx8 lol
next came the Honda fit. I drove a beater civic back then(graduated last year)
Old 05-21-2010, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Hey,May 20 2010, 09:25 PM
hey im in hs still too.. my friends drive evo's but they aint got nothing on the convertible hahaha girls are all over this car
Like I always say, there's nothing wrong with a car that gets girls but don't date those girls...chances are they want your car and not you
Old 05-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Looking back, I didn't have that great of a car in high school...but because my car was one of the nicer ones in the parking lot, it look some abuse:
*nails in the tires, purposely
*vandalized license plate
*handicapped signs thrown on it
*I never left it out overnight on Halloween - 'egging' was quite popular on Halloween

I never fit in that town, and that is why to this day I keep my distance. My dad worked at the bank in a town of 1,500. Somehow, the kids at my school associated his career with being wealthy. He didn't exactly have unlimited access to the vault at his leisure, but that's how dumb some of the people there were. But regardless, there was some jealousy, and I took a lot of abuse because of it.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife,May 21 2010, 08:55 AM
*I never left it out overnight on Halloween - 'egging' was quite popular on Halloween
I have to admit, I still get nervous on Halloween and Mischief night...I usually have my car parked in the garage but still, stupid kids
Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 AM

I was feared or rather my cars were. Graduating in 78 I had the pleasure of owning several wheel standing muscle cars at a then affordable price. Can't touch them now for the prices I paid. Should've kept one but like everthing else, hindsight is 20/20.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Nah, buit I got lots of admiring glances for my 1971 Gitane.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Wow, I never would have guessed that many people in HS had s2k's. I mean, no offense, but unless you paid for it yourself (or are paying the loan) I'd put you in the spoiled category.

I drove my parents '00 Honda Odyssey to school until halfway through my senior year. I went to a small private/catholic school (350 kids in the school, 57 in my graduating class) so having the best car didn't take much. (it wasn't one of "those" private schools). I kept that mini-van cllleeannnn (i take care of what I drive, no matter what).

Senior year picked up my first realistic dream car, a 2000 Celica GT-S. The only car anyone drove that came even close to being that nice was one person had a newer Scion TC. Being at a small school means everyone knows everyone so I wouldn't say I got hated on, but I enjoyed being the only person in the school with something better than their parents "very" used sedan/van.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 PM

I was never hated for my cars in HS, I got more hate because of the grades I made (or the women I had).

From the age of 16 (2001) to 18 (2003) these are the cars I had, in this order: 1998 Camaro V6 with ground effects and t-tops, then 2000 SS white, black top, SLP exhaust, SLP wheels, leather, 12 disc changer, then 2000 GT Mustang, long tubes, catback, intake, springs, gears.

I used to think people with nice cars that were GIVEN to them (I paid for all of mine except part of the first camaro) were spoiled, but then I realized you are only spoiled if you are an a-hole or douche about it. If a kid works hard in school, volunteers, plays sports, etc, I think they deserve a nice car. I am working my ass off and getting my graduate degree so hopefully one day I can "spoil" my kids as some of you (Dasher) call it.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dasher,May 21 2010, 12:06 PM
Wow, I never would have guessed that many people in HS had s2k's. I mean, no offense, but unless you paid for it yourself (or are paying the loan) I'd put you in the spoiled category.

I drove my parents '00 Honda Odyssey to school until halfway through my senior year. I went to a small private/catholic school (350 kids in the school, 57 in my graduating class) so having the best car didn't take much. (it wasn't one of "those" private schools). I kept that mini-van cllleeannnn (i take care of what I drive, no matter what).

Senior year picked up my first realistic dream car, a 2000 Celica GT-S. The only car anyone drove that came even close to being that nice was one person had a newer Scion TC. Being at a small school means everyone knows everyone so I wouldn't say I got hated on, but I enjoyed being the only person in the school with something better than their parents "very" used sedan/van.
I own a MY00 that I put a down payment, and am now making payments on to my parents. Couldnt get a loan at the bank being 17 at the time. But i disagree that people who are given nice cars are spoiled. A Lot of kids with nice cars appreciate them, and deserve them even though they are not paying for them. But, there are a lot of people on the other side of the spectrum that are just spoiled, so i agree with you on some points.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I got my drivers license in 1967 when I was a senior in high school. I inherited the family 4 door sedan, a 1961 Chevy Impala. Actually, I had to share it with my older sister. The car was rusting, had a 6 cylinder engine and a slipping powerglide two speed automatic transmission.

I wasn't hated so much as I was laughed at by the kids who had the muscle cars of the day. Still, for a year and a half it got me where I was going (most times).

Quick Reply: Were you ever hated in HS because of your car?