S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

went for a hard drive last night, but heard groaning noise from drivetrain??

Old 08-14-2001, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default went for a hard drive last night, but heard groaning noise from drivetrain??

i took my brother for a drive last night and drove fairly hard, engine was nicely warmed up and all, no water on road anyway, there was a nice stretch of straight road and i stop (no cars at all). i proceeded to do a 5.5k clutch drop (first one mind u, i never dump or launch the car), it spun briefly and then bit down hard on the road, took it to 8500 then shifted sweetly into 2nd and took that to about 8500 and then slammed into 3rd before easing off at about 130km.
the point is it felt strong but.... i heard a distinct goaning noise, kinda like metal bending or fatiguing, the kind u hear in the movies on an old ship and the sound emanated from what i believe to be the drivetrain.
should i be concerned that this is the lead up to a huge break, bearing in mind that i dont usually launch the car that hard, but i will. it is really disconcerting or am i being paranoid. i keep hearing horror stories of people in all types of cars giving it heaps or people doing 1/4 mile flys and having the car seize up in gear and having it towed away.
plus the s2k does have a notoriously weak clutch, right.
any reponse, good or bad is appreciated
Old 08-14-2001, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't launch at high enough RPMs, I am surprised it even launched at all, especially with a second person in the car. Make sure that when you drop the clutch that you sidestep or slide your foot off the bottom of the pedal.. dont just lift it off quickly. To launch properly you need to shock the drive train (bad) and make the tires spin, if you do it right then you can stay in VTEC the whole time.. It's not that easy, I always tended to just floor the car until it was time to shift.. which isn't the best way to do it.. You're supposed to feather the throttle to allow for the wheels to grip, but you have to be fast enough for the engine to stay in VTEC ..

Launching isnt worth it, trust me on this.. I have done it 20-25 times or so and now my differential is totally fuxored up.

If you dont launch at 6000+ rpm's then the engine isnt in VTEC and does not produce enough torque to spin the tires. That means that all the stress of the launch is absorbed by..

The differential
The axels
The clutch
The drive shaft

All parts are pretty damned expensive so be prepared to drop some cash to fix em.

Chris