S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Weird smell going up a hill.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weird smell going up a hill.

I backed out of a driveway yesterday that is on a hill. I was facing up the hill and I started reving the engine (5000 rpms) to maybe peal out a little (just for grins). The car was still at 3 bars from earlier. So I was reving the engine with the clutch in and I let out the clutch and nothing happened is just kinda stayed there. Just enough to keep me from rolling down the hill. So I put the clutch in and let off the gas. I then slowly pulled to the side of the road. I noticed this weird smell sort of like buring oil (very noticeable) or something that screamed not good. Anyway I sat there for a minute and then drove to a gas station to look over my engine and oil level. everything was fine. MY car has 5000 miles on it. Any ideas. I was honestly freaked out all day after that.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the engine spun and the clutch slipped freely. If you don't let the clutch out really quickly, for example side step it, it will slip helplessly. I tried that once with the same results. The guys that get good quarter mile times rev near 8k and side step the clutch.

The good news is that it should not affect the clutch. I've got 26,000 miles now with no clutch problems. Just don't do it again.
Old 08-29-2002, 09:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

So I was revving the engine with the clutch in and I let out the clutch and nothing happened is just kind of stayed there. Just enough to keep me from rolling down the hill.
That was the smell of a buring clutch disk. Not a smell you will forget.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you so much. I was freaking out. I love this website.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:17 PM

Damn the same thing happen to me. I pulled up at a light and this old guy, atleast 50 years or so, rolls down his window and asks if I can smoke the tires on it. I looked at him and said for sure. He replied, a kid like you probably doesn't even know how to smoke the tires on a sports car like that, come on I wanna see it, but wait till the damn light turns green he tells me. So, I get the RPM's up to about 8 grand and the the light turns green and I fether the clutch out out a bit and then dump it. Same damn thing happen, the car just rolled helplessly as the smell of burning clutch emiited from the car. I was so freaked out! beause I went through the light and a little father before letting up on the gas. At the next light I had to make a Right turn and decided to dump it. Wow....NICE,,,really fish tailing around the turn.

The smell was terrable though. I got back to work and the car sat for about three hours, then whenI got back into it, the smell was still there. Hoepfully it will go away.
Old 08-29-2002, 04:26 PM

1) You don't feather-then-dump, 'cause then all you'll get is clutch spin. The reason you dump the clutch in one very quick motion is to prevent the setup of clutch spin. If the clutch is out, the engine is turning, but the wheels aren't -- you're roasting the clutch.

2) This car really isn't good at "smoking the tires." It doesn't have a whole lot of torque at low-end, and it has grippy tires. I'd advise limiting the practice, because it will destroy your clutch and differential.

- Warren
Old 08-29-2002, 06:10 PM

Every hear the expression. "Burning out your clutch" Now you know what they are talking about. It's a smell you don't forget. It reminds you to be carefull in the future.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:30 PM

it's worse than burnt hair...your interior will smell that way for a week.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:44 PM

So then what's the best way of engaging the clutch on a steep hill? Just rev it up and dump it?
Old 08-30-2002, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Globetro
[B]So then what's the best way of engaging the clutch on a steep hill?

Quick Reply: Weird smell going up a hill.