S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

weight savings of full exhaust

Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog,Jan 19 2011, 06:39 PM
^^ what do you have a teardrop?
and I got a $5 piece of straight pipe that exits behind the rear axle, which is bolted to a berk HFC
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog,Jan 19 2011, 04:39 PM
^^ what do you have a teardrop?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jan 19 2011, 09:24 AM
...100 pounds from a 2800 pound car is nothing...
I wanted to drop 100# out because when my 100# GF was in the car I could feel the difference. The exhaust was the easy place to start (easier than dumping the GF anyway) because I also wanted the sound improvement. After gutting the trunk, aftermarket wheels, Odyssey battery, no cruise control, PRM intake, test pipe, hood insulation and miscellaneous plastic panels, even the fold down windscreen, I'm pretty close and I feel it's helped. Big difference? Of course not, but the car still feels civil and looks stock.

If anybody wants to add weight with aero parts, cages, subs and amps that's cool too, whatever makes you feel good about your car is all good to me.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:facepalm: sorry i should had read closer, it's not pretty but it gets the job done

@mister x

you make cages sound ricey haha
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog,Jan 19 2011, 06:17 PM
:facepalm: sorry i should had read closer, it's not pretty but it gets the job done
Indeed. Its under the car so it's never seen, so I didn't care for the stainless steel. If it ever falls apart, I might spend a little on mandrel bends and a resonator to quiet it down
Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Unless you're gutting the car 30-100lbs is not going to do anything useful for you.

There are guys who are running 'full' cars and beat the gutted guys on the track all the time. Good driving will make up all the difference. Dropping 20-30lbs off your gut might help
Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

hmm i guess you guys do make a good point. when i do ride with a passenger even if they are light i do feel a difference. personally for me though i don't track the car so i could live with the extra lbs and quiet exhaust all day.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mister x,Jan 19 2011, 05:30 PM
I wanted to drop 100# out because when my 100# GF was in the car I could feel the difference. The exhaust was the easy place to start (easier than dumping the GF anyway) because I also wanted the sound improvement. After gutting the trunk, aftermarket wheels, Odyssey battery, no cruise control, PRM intake, test pipe, hood insulation and miscellaneous plastic panels, even the fold down windscreen, I'm pretty close and I feel it's helped. Big difference? Of course not, but the car still feels civil and looks stock.

If anybody wants to add weight with aero parts, cages, subs and amps that's cool too, whatever makes you feel good about your car is all good to me.
Weight reduction is no laughing matter, I got an S13 from 2700 to 2300 a couple years back and it made a dramatic improvement in handling, acceleration, braking, gas mileage and ride but I still dont think the exhaust is the best place to go looking for huge weight savings. The easiest thing to do is to just switch to a single exhaust, the OEM dual exhaust is needlessly heavy but other than that, unless you switch to Ti, you're going to have to sacrifice function.

Dropping the spare tire, jack and tool kit is not even close to 100#s as stated above, all 3 items are probably less than 50lbs.

The S2000 is quite weight conscious as it is, so you will have to spend a bit of money to save weight or remove creature comforts or safety features. I personally have never had a problem removing rebar's although some are violently opposed, but if you're looking for easy weight, they're a good 40lbs each and they do nothing unless you hit something

You can also look to can your AC, sound system, OEM battery for a PC680, etc. The exhaust IMO is already as minimal as it can get unless you sacrifice dollars or function. Just thought i'd drive that one home one last time.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven,Jan 19 2011, 11:16 PM
Indeed. Its under the car so it's never seen, so I didn't care for the stainless steel. If it ever falls apart, I might spend a little on mandrel bends and a resonator to quiet it down
You should be mindful - exhaust ports to the outside of the car so gases don't pool and seep into the car, which can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Not an issue if you are top down, but if you have the cabin sealed, it can be an issue.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM

Anyone know the unsprung weight ratio?

I've heard 4:1...3:1..2:1

I'd like to upgrade brakes and get rid of my Goodyears
and get either Falkens or Contis which are 4lbs. lighter
each!

I'm sure aftermarket brakes are quite a bit lighter
than OEM...and high performance to boot.

I would upgrade wheels to something lighter like
Enkeis or Ultraleggeros...but I REALLY like the look
of the OEM V2's.

Have to wonder though..will lightening unsprung weight
adversely affect center-of-gravity..raise it?

Quick Reply: weight savings of full exhaust