S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ways to make insurance cheaper

Old 12-10-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lostsol
My car is under my parents name but I am still covered. I also I have an alarm installed and told them that it is garaged every night. I also took defensive driving to clear a ticket and it turns out that the insurance will discount your premium a little for three years if you show them a certificate that you took defensive driving. Well it all turns out that the premium is $69 a month for full coverage.
Are you what the insurance company calls a partial driver, and someone else is the primary driver.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LBRunner
[B]
I'm not trying to be an ass here, but how young are you that you have to pay $300 a MONTH???
Old 12-10-2002, 10:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
This is very admirable of you.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by mjudson

Are you what the insurance company calls a partial driver, and someone else is the primary driver.
I might be off base, here, but one way I can see a young person paying $69.00 full coverage on a car like this is if his family has LESS than one car per licenced operator. For example: 3 family members, 2 cars (one of which is the S). Then he can be listed as an "occasional" driver. But should something bad happen and a claim needs to be made, if the insurance can prove that the car is driven primarily by the young person, they can give you a lot of grief.
Another way is if there are equal cars for equal people and a parent is designated the principal driver on the S and the young person is listed as principal driver on another "less" spectacular vehicle. Again, problems could arise if the insurance company can prove otherwise.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LBRunner
[B]
I'm not trying to be an ass here, but how young are you that you have to pay $300 a MONTH???
Old 12-10-2002, 11:14 AM

[B]
I might be off base, here, but one way I can see a young person paying $69.00 full coverage on a car like this is if his family has LESS than one car per licenced operator.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:45 AM

BINGO! That is what I did long ago when I lived with my parents. I was the primary driver of the cheapest car. If you have 3 licensed drivers and 3 cars then each licensed driver will have to be a primary driver of one car.

[B]
I might be off base, here, but one way I can see a young person paying $69.00 full coverage on a car like this is if his family has LESS than one car per licenced operator.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2K_LA
[B]BINGO!
Old 12-10-2002, 01:17 PM

OK-here is my nickel
S is insured by parents in one state, I live in another. S titled in my name. S licensed in parents state using their address.
I have not lived with my parents for almost 10 years but they still insure my expensive car, and I insure the cheap one with liability. I have not been on their policy since I moved out but my parents' vehicles are insured for any driver. So when I totaled my CL(in my name, insured under parents) the insurance company paid it and the rates never increased. No questions were asked and everything was paid as if it was mine. BTW, I have lived in a different state the whole time as well. The legality of it is that I am allowed to drive their cars and insurance covers the car. This will not work if you are named as not being able to drive their cars to save them money(normally done when they live in the same place) When I lived at home, they wrote me off the most expensive car so I would not raise the rates of that one. Normally, the youngest or worst driver is listed on the most expensive car to ensure insurance company is covered.
As far as the number of miles driven per year goes, WHO CHECKS? I have always owned a bike and a truck(insured in my name) and both have always been insured as 'vehicle for pleasure, less than XXXX miles per year(whatever the minimum is) and no one ever checked. My CL was listed this way with my parents and it traveled over 20,000 in 14 months. My CL was licensed in the same state it was insured in which makes it legal as well. Last year I put over 10,000 miles on my Jeep.
I think it is an 'on your honor' question. My friend changed his answer to 'number of miles driven to and from work' question from 30 to 5 saying he works in a different location and he saved almost 25% from that change with all other things being the same.
S insurance for me would be 260 a month and my parents pay 72 monthly. That savings has always been the basis for the second vehicle. The bike is a necessity.
Bottom line-Insurance sucks until you need it!!
Adam
Old 12-10-2002, 06:56 PM

Thanks