S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Warranty question????

Old 11-07-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty question????

So my car went in for a routine 30K check-up. Turns out the transmission needed fixing under a recall notice.

So here's my question. They want to charge me for the clutch bearing and pressure plate as they consider them "wear" items.

This sounds crazy to me. Shouldn't all of this be covered under the warranty like everything else they fixed??

Thanks in advance.

J
Old 11-07-2003, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 30k miles, it would be a wear item. They should however hook you up on labor, since everything is all out. But knowing dealerships, they'll just charge you for the "book rate." I'd talk them down.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:31 AM

If they're fixing under TSB, without your asking them to do so, then I believe it would be a warranty item.

The way I read this, you went in for routine maintenance. They decided that the clutch needed replacement (under what sounds like it might be TSB54). Unless they're giving you the option to leave it alone (as the clutch buzz is not detrimental to the vehicle and will come back over time), then they should cover it.

On the other hand, if they're claiming that the clutch was slipping from wear and tear (which would not be commensurate with a recall notice), then the cost should fall on you. But again, it should be your choice as to whether or not they should do the work.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:06 AM

munckee, they are fixing it under the clutch buzz noise related TSB.

I gather from you then that they should cover it all.

They mentioned that when they opened it up for the TSB they noticed that the pressure plate and bearing needed replacing.

J
Old 11-07-2003, 08:16 AM

I'm not positive, but I believe that all three pieces (pressure plate, bearing, etc) get replaced when the dealer performs the TSB. You shouldn't have to pay any of the costs for the TSB.

Now, it may be that the TSB covers only the clutch and not the pressure plate and bearing, but they are telling you that you need the other parts as well.

I never bothered to have the TSB performed because I can't leave my car for three days. You'll have to get some input from someone who's had the TSB done to fidn the correct answer.

I don't understand why the need for the TSB would effect the pressure plate and bearing though. If the car can be driven without performing the TSB at all, then why would you suddenly need to have those parts replaced in order to have the TSB done?

Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone with TSB experience can chime in and give us the specifics. I'm kinda curious how it all pans out.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The clutch "buzz" thing only involves the disc (that's what has the buzzing springs). A "proper" job would always include a new release bearing but they don't have to pay for it. It wouldn't include a pressure plate. Another local owner had this done. It cost him nothing and they included the bearing. I'm not so sure how they determine if a pressure plate needs to be replaced by just looking at it. If a test drive told them this, you should have noticed something wrong before you took the car in. You may have to poke your nose into it a bit further to see what's going on.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Download the TSB from the s2ki library and take it in with you to the dealer. Then ask them why they are charging you.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the TSB done (54) and the plate and the bearing were both replaced at Hondas expense. Somewhere there is a PDF of the TSB. It should list what they will replace.