S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Warning to DIY Oil changers

Old 07-09-2001, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning to DIY Oil changers

In 1988 I did first oil change on my 88 Prelude and then went on a trip. At some point I accelerated to redline and a HUGE cloud of blue smoke could be seen in rear view mirror. I stopped immediately and had car towed to a service station where they found TWO gaskets on the oil filter. One was from the original filter which had stuck to the block when I removed the filter. Under high oil pressure this extra gasket "blew out", spilling oil on the exhaust pipe, hence the blue smoke.

Well guess what. This weekend I did my first oil change on my S2k. After installing the new filter I picked up the old filter to take it to the garbage can and just happened to notice that there was no gasket on it! Removed the new filter and sure enough the old gasket was stuck to the block.

Moral-ALWAYS check the old filter to make sure the gasket came off with it. I have been told that Hondas are notorious for this.
Old 07-09-2001, 07:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the gasket ring on the new filter is well oiled before installation the odds of it sticking to the seat are much reduced. But you are right, always be sure you know where both the old and new gaskets are.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:38 AM

I had a similar problem with the first oil change in my 88 Integra. After driving too and from work the next day, my oil light came on. The leak was very slow, so I did not see any oil smoke. The oil leaked only at high rev's so I never saw an oil drip on the driveway. After that I've always checked each time I drop the filter. I never had a stuck gasket until the first S2000 oil change, but I was ready this time. I think the factory must not use oil on the filter, or the tighten them too tight. The Integra filter and the stook filter were tough break loose.

BTW after 160,000 miles on the Integra the engine began burning oil. Compression tests reported all 4 cylinders where with in 10% of each other an near the top end of the compression limit. I replaced the EGR valve and the valve seals, with no effect. One mechanic told me that the grime in the oil rings could produce a tight seal during the compression test, but not when the cylinder was firing. I donated the teg after 60,000 miles later.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:32 AM

Thanks!
Have never had that happen to me before.
Another good reason for reading this board, everyone is very helpful here!
sousleau
Old 07-13-2001, 10:28 AM

A friend of mine had this happen to her. Ever since then, I religiously check the old filter for the gasket.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:05 PM

Similar thing happened to me on a Jeep ZJ. I used 5 qts of Syntec, started to car to run it a little before topping off the oil, noticed oil on the garage floor. 5 qts of Syntec down the drain. Since then, I always check the gasket.
Old 07-15-2001, 06:43 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Good warning. This was a common problem in older cars, such as MGs. Use an ice pick or similar tool to poke where the oil sealing ring would seat, if it doesn't drop out.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:25 PM

One more thing slightly related. When you fill or top off your oil, make sure the gasket in the oil cap doesn't pop off & fall into the abyss. This happened to me last time I topped off, but I was lucky enough that the gasket sat on the valve cover without getting lost. If the gasket had fallen off, I'm not sure if I would have noticed when I screwed the oil cap back on.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

'87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II here..........but I learned after the first one. For all those new do it yourselfers out there....ergh ah might wanna make sure the little plastic thing is removed from the positive terminal of a new battery also! That one had me stumped for 2 days...........
Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM

lol well that happend to me tonight , just had to rechange the oil againa nd i just bought a bote of royal purple and far out have to use a shitty castrol now

Quick Reply: Warning to DIY Oil changers