S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Warning about OEM Honda dust cover

Old 03-23-2003, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning about OEM Honda dust cover

This is just a minor thing, but may be worthy of knowing if any of you have the factory cover.
I've had my car in storage for the last 6 weeks or so due to the weather, I keep it in an unheated storage facility that I rent monthly. Before storing, I carefully detailed the car, and then put the Honda dust cover on it. I drove up to the storage place recently to put the battery back in, in anticipation of being able to drive in the next few days now that the snow has melted, and I found that under the dust cover, the car was completely drenched from condensation formed when the outside temps were higher than those inside the facility.
Now as I recall, the OEM dust cover is supposed to be breathable, as a means of preventing condensation build-up, but this wasn't the case for me. I'm sure there wasn't any damage done, but if anyone thinks his or her car is cozy, warm and dry under that cover, think again.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:43 AM

Received 5,794 Likes on 3,413 Posts

That's sucks. If it isn't breathable it's worthless. Frankly, that seems very strange to me. I have a cover but my garage is heated to maintain an even 45 degrees unless I'm working on a project.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:45 AM

That sucks. I keep mine on my car all winter - heated garage. Never had any problems with any condensation. Guessing you have a bit more humidity than we do here, but my wife's Tahoe gets parked next to it, and it brings in a lot of moisture - enough to fog the windows on the garage doors.

Maybe it is breathable, but was dealing with unusually difficult circumstances?! At least there is no real damage. Have fun driving. It'll be a while here - four and a half feet last week, more tonight, and a BIG one again on the weekend. I'm headed for a beach!
Old 03-23-2003, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strikes me that ANY cover will cause condensation in the right set of conditions. The car gets covered with moisture when the humidity and temperature are right (dew) without a cover at all. The difference is that the cloth covers will allow the moisture to evaporate where the impermeable ones won't.

To keep it moisture-free, you would need to climate control the storage environement at least to some degree.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jguerdat
[B]Strikes me that ANY cover will cause condensation in the right set of conditions.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:42 AM

Don't use the cover if it's a worry then. Just keep a California Duster handy. Believe it or not, it doesn't get that dusty without the cover.

*If you have silver.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, when I first bought my new 98 Civic it was my baby, never driven in the winter. I would leave it in my dads shop and just go out ever so often and dust it and start it up, just to keep everything flowing.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason B
[B]Don't use the cover if it's a worry then. Just keep a California Duster handy. Believe it or not, it doesn't get that dusty without the cover.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:39 PM

My car has spent more time under the cover than not and I've never had a condensation problem in the three years I've owned it.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

This is something that I always been concerned about. As a result, I've never used a cover. I've always thought that the dust was easier to deal with. It may be that your garage is especially humid. I don't think I'd cover the car.

Quick Reply: Warning about OEM Honda dust cover