S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

WARNING about larger tires, offset

Old 03-18-2001 | 09:19 AM

I know there has been significant discussion about plus sizing, rear/front tire size and offset, all of which I read, but I am here now to offer some real world experience.

I have 18in wheels with 225/40 front, 255/35 rear. Wheel offset is +45mm front and back. THIS IS NOT ENOUGH OFFSET FOR "PERFECT" FIT.

What I have found is that if the suspension is compressed enough, the wheels will hit the lip at the top of the wheel wells. If you look in the wheel wells, the front fender has about 1/4in lip and back one has a little over 1/2in. What happens is if I go over an abrupt bump or dip the wheel(s) will rub against the wheel well lip. Obviously more of an issue with a passenger. In my normal driving, this rarely occurs and I haven't found any problems with hard corning. The few times it has happened don't appear to be damaging the tire(s) but it irritates the sh*t out of me.

My guess at good offsets for these sizes would be 47-50mm in front, 50-55mm in back (where have I seen these numbers before?). You live and learn.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an idiot for picking these offsets; I am an idiot for letting someone else pick the offsets (dealer).
Old 03-18-2001 | 09:22 AM

Correction - the tires hit the wheel well lip, not the wheels.
Old 03-18-2001 | 09:30 AM

Hi Rocketman

It seems to me that tires which rub are a potential safety hazard. It also seems to me that you relied on the expertise and representations of the dealer, that the tire/wheel package was not only a terrific profit point for the dealer but appropriate for your car. Even if the dealer never said, "this wheel/tire package is correct for your car," it was implied because they sold you the car/wheel/tire package.

All this is to say, that I'd take the car back to the dealer and demand they provide you with a tire/wheel package of comparable or better quality which is appropriate to your car, i.e., which does not rub when your suspension is compressed. If he does not agree, well, that's what the courts are for. Here in California it would fall within small claims or Superior Courts of limited jurisdiction (used to be Municipal Court.)

Good luck to you!!

2x6spds
Old 03-18-2001 | 10:05 AM

Have you been "jumpin" stuff? I have 17*7.5's w/ 48mm offset on the front with no problems. I have the car lowered by 1" or so, and so far so good... even in the POTHOLE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD (Pennsylvania).

Maybe it is the added weight of that supercharger

Scot
Old 03-18-2001 | 10:11 AM

2X6.....ever here of "Buyer be Ware" in any of your law classes?
Old 03-18-2001 | 10:14 AM
RT

Rock, not much of a consolation, but I know you are not alone on the rubbing thing.
I
Old 03-18-2001 | 10:15 AM
RT

Originally posted by Utah S2K
2X6.....ever here of "Buyer be Ware" in any of your law classes?
Nut speEled liEk daT.
Old 03-18-2001 | 10:22 AM
RT

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scot
[B]Have you been "jumpin" stuff?
Old 03-18-2001 | 12:19 PM

You will need to get your rear fenders rolled. This is a painless and simple operation that any competent body shop can perform.

Honestly, for the S2000, a 17" wheel/tire combo would have been the better way to go.
Old 03-18-2001 | 12:38 PM

I have decided to take it up with the dealer and see where it goes. I think I'll play it dumb initially: "Hey guys, my tires are rubbing, you think there's something wrong with my shocks?". I'll just take it in and ask them to fix it - see if they can figure it out.

RT - one of the first things to occur to me was to roll the lips. Have you ever seen the results? Can it be done so it doesn't look like sh*t? Other option is to get somebody to develop a body kit that gives flared fenders

I think the fronts are OK at +45mm except under extreme conditions (50-60mph or faster going thru one of those downhill to uphill country road transitions. +48-50mm would probably be perfect. I think the rears need to be at least +50mm, prolly a little more. I will go out and measure in a bit, so I know.

I have 3 piece wheels - does anyone know if you can get the center piece replaced by one with more offset? Or is the only option to get a complete new wheel with the right offset? I am totally ignorant on how they vary the offset on wheels - I assumed they built them to order.

Quick Reply: WARNING about larger tires, offset