S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Vtec teasing

Old 08-28-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vtec teasing

Sometimes when I'm driving I try to drive fairly fast and spiritedly but without engaging vtec for reaons of gas and unnecessary use. Meaning I will rev up and shift at around 5000 rpms or close to 6000 rpms because I am conservative about the need to vtec sometimes. The S2000 has plenty of power in ordinary mode so I don't feel the need to have to engage vtec all the time.

The part that bothers me is there are times where I go too far and vtec engages unintentially and when I'm trying to drive "ordinary" I up shift out of it, and doing this kind of bothers me. I feel I am teasing it...I should either I go into vtec and play in it to enjoy it or don't go into it at all. haha but that's sorta how I feel about it. I don't like teasing the engine. haha If I vtec it, then I want to rev it up and at least be in vtec for a longer duration and not shift out and go back to "ordinary" mode so soon.

Anyone else feel or do the same?
Describe...
Old 08-28-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry, you can't tease inanimate objects, lord knows I've tried, but it can't be done. Otherwise, 6K is a great shift point, I usually don't vtec with every shift either. Usually I only use it when other cars are frisky at a red light, or I'm running down an exit ramp.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 08-28-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you are only 1 second in vtec at 6000 rpm, the valves and rockers allready went up & down, pushed by the hot cam, for about 50 times.
(lets say 49 because it takes 1 cycle for the pins to lock the 3 rockers together)

Anyway..

Old 08-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Just when I thought I was the only one...
I enjjoy driving out of vtec because it still feels better than let's say... a solstice... then.. if I save it up..and I go rocking the hills in full Vtec sprint.. it's like a seperate car....
but you have to taste Vtec every once in a while or it'll get mad at you
Old 08-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"VTEC" is just another mechanical state that the engine goes through. The engine doesn't care if you are in VTEC or not. It's not different than say when you are just coasting steady state down the road and your fuel and ignition system runs one way ("off and on") as opposed to when you accelerate when your fuel system is "on". This again, is opposed to when you are decelerating, when your injectors shut off and your fuel system is "off".
It's just a thing the engine does. Should you worry about whether or not a given system is on or off and concentrate on driving a certain way to somehow "make it work better" or "keep it less stressed or more happy"? Come on! It's just a car. Over thinking this sort of stuff merely reduces the overall enjoyment of it and in some instances, may even be dangerous driving habit.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:35 AM

Really?

So the voices aren't my car. They keep whispering "VTEC....VTEC....VTEC....", its gotta be the car.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, there is an oil pressure drop when you engage VTEC... I agree with you Viper, someone with too much time on his hands. I drive the shit out of my car because that's what I bought it for. If I worried about fuel economy, I'd have gotten a Prius.

When I drive normally, I shift at 5000-5500 rpms. About 1/2 the max RPM's
Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't spare it, it's just a machine man! C'mon seriously. VTEC is part of the engine and is meant to be used as much as any other RPM range. I VTEC all day long all the way up to 8k and still getting ~25mpg. These types of posts almost make me want to go and take the S away from you. You are not worthy!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:16 AM

i vtec too much lol...20 mpg

Quick Reply: Vtec teasing