S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

VTEC and Synthetic Oil

Old 01-25-2001, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search here on VTEC Synthetic Oil but didn't find a conclusive answer to this question. Is it possible for synthetic oils to affect the VTEC engagement?

I had Synthetic put in at my first oil change and have noticed a marked difference in the feel of the VTEC. VTEC is still engaging, it just doesn't feel like the old 'someone lit the bottle rocket' VTEC I knew before the oil change.

I realize this question has been pounded a lot- I just wanted to find out if someone knew for sure a link between VTEC issues and synthetics? And if there was one, whether returning to conventional oil made a difference.

Is it at all possible that the properties of synthetic oils makes them less than ideal for a VTEC engine?

Thanks in advance,
-B
Old 01-25-2001, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll hear it both ways (rather all three ways), I found no difference when I switched, some felt less, some felt more. I have an idea, Ill start a poll.
Old 01-26-2001, 02:51 AM

I have been using synthetic oil for quite some time now and have not experienced any differences in VTEC performance since switching to synthetic.
Perhaps you have grown accustomed to your car's performance - you could always add the Comptech Supercharger to regain that "someone lit the bottle rocket" VTEC performance But seriously, if you think there is a difference when using synthetic oil, why not try using conventional oil for a while and see whether there are any detectable differences between the two oils.
Old 01-26-2001, 05:01 AM
STL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bguernsey
[B]I had Synthetic put in at my first oil change and have noticed a marked difference in the feel of the VTEC.
Old 01-26-2001, 05:37 AM

I'll be switching to synthetic today, @12,500 miles, and was wondering the same thing. If I don't see an improvement, I'll switch back to DINO oil.

Anybody here use REDLINE?

I use Redline 5w-30 on my wifes CL 3.0 and it feels silky smooth with a still maintains the VTEC kick. I hope to feel the same improvement.
Old 01-26-2001, 05:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your engine is full of oil there is no way there will be any difference between oils of the same weight when fully warmed. The brand or type of oil will make NO difference regarding VTEC engagement.

If you are pretty sure that high RPM performance is inconsistent I suggest you test your MAP sensor.

I am more than happy to have the oil discussion with someone that will bring logic and knowledge to the table, but thus far it is an old wives tale with incidental stories.. no facts.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
...I am more than happy to have the oil discussion with someone that will bring logic and knowledge to the table, but thus far it is an old wives tale with incidental stories.. no facts.
Yes- thats what I'm looking for- something conclusive. I read the article here (w/photos) on the way VTEC works and it occurred to me that if Oil pressure alone engages the VTEC, that the properties of a synthetic might work differently. I'm really just speculating- but I thought there might be some experts here

Are properties such as surface tension at all temperatures the same with Synthetics and Conventionals? I've heard the 'synthetic doesn't break down', but does this mean its an exact clone of conventional other than its properties at high temperatures? (which leads me to wonder if it behaves the same under high pressure) It would seem to me that some of the molecular properties that keep it from breaking down would also change some of its other attributes- which wouldn't affect lubrication- but perhaps make it less suitable for use as a pressure fluid for engaging rods. Does that make any sense? ;-)

Surely this has been discussed before in a commercial publication?

Anyway, I'm not qualified to speculate. I'm just curious. I am going to check the MAP sensor as soon as it warms up enough and stays dry enough to bring it out of hybernation. I'll also recheck the oil levels. And if all else fails, switch back to conventional. I have no doubt that VTEC is engaging- its just not engaging with the kick I so enjoyed in the past. Does anyone know if a non-OEM oil filter could affect this?

Thanks..
-B