S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Vtec Gone!!

Old 03-22-2001, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just picked up my Stook after it's first service. It may be my imagination but I am sure that the vtec "kick" has gone. The car still pulls well from 6000 upwards but it seems to me that it may not be a strong now. If this is not my imagination what could be wrong?
Old 03-22-2001, 07:26 AM
Bieg

Check the oil level.
Old 03-22-2001, 10:03 AM

No the oil level is fine I have checked

Any other ideas?
Old 03-22-2001, 10:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

are you "used" to the car now? time it from 0-100.. if it takes more than 14-15 seconds....get it checked out.

Scot
Old 03-22-2001, 10:49 AM

Hi NJHB

How many miles do you have on your S2000, and what kind of oil are you using.

At about 4K miles (I think) I replaced the original oil with Mobil ! 10W30. VTEC kick was gone. I thought maybe it was stronger sub VTEC so that the transition was just less noticeable. Not so. Timed it by hand at about 7 seconds to 60. Was ready to puke. The car felt like a slug. Put in Castrol GTX and the car felt better. Had my tranny and seat belt thing done (another oil change, probably Weseloh bulk oil) and the car came back feeling like a rocket. Weseloh said they didn't do anything, but they did disconnect the battery. I think it may have reset the ECU. When the VTEC comes on, you should FEEL it. For me, the difference between those days when it's feeling really frisky and not is that VTEC surge at partial throttle acceleration. Anyway, good luck with yours. Mine's good now.

2x6spds
Old 03-22-2001, 10:53 AM

NJHB,

The weather and the temperature (condition) of the car has alot to do with the performance, and feeling the vtec surge.

What I have come across is that if it is too hot outside, or if something isn't tip top shape in the car, the engine diagnostics will not run the car at 100% (full power).

Maybe that has to do with the vtec surge. In my car...it comes and goes.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NJHB
[B]I've just picked up my Stook after it's first service.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the SAME thing happen 2x6spds-- I had Mobil 1 oil put in a 3700 miles and the vtec became less noticable. I have no changed out of it because noone here could tell me if it made a difference.

But what you are saying about the ECU is something I wondered about. I think I'll go unplug the battery and test the theory this weekend. I wondered if perhaps the ECU had adjusted to the engine conditions and needed to be cleared to readjust. I wish there was a little public documentation on the functions of the ECU.

I suppose I should consider dumping the Mobil 1 too. The car is ok, but the VTEC hasn't been quite the same. Its powerful now, but it used to knock my head against the seat.

BTW, remember not to remove your battery cables unless you have the radio code card to unlock the radio. If you fail 3 times typing the code, I think the radio becomes permanently locked.

-B
Old 03-22-2001, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, ok- I just went out and disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes and went for a drive. The car did behave MUCH differently. Unfortunately, it is about 6:30 and the roads are a bit crowded so I had trouble finding a place to open it up. I did notice a marked improvement in VTEC in 1st gear, but I wasn't able to find somewhere with a stretch of empty road long enough to vtec above that

One thing I will say, the car idles much lower now! In fact, it stalled slightly a few times when I came to a stop. But I also noticed an improvement on the throttle response.

More results to follow- if I can get it out on the open road tonight I'll let you know if this solved my problem. Its hard to believe resetting the ECU would have such an effect. Does anyone know if this is part of the standard Honda service??

-B
Old 03-22-2001, 02:46 PM

Hi Bryon

I'm pretty sure it is not a part of their service. Glad it seems to have worked for you too.

2x6spds

Quick Reply: Vtec Gone!!