S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Vented hood

Old 08-10-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vented hood

I've really started to notice heatsoak when driving my S in warm weather. She becomes a little hesitant and not as fiesty as usual. I don't like the idea of a CAI, so I was thinking about getting a nice vented hood like the Mugen one.

If I get one, will my intake options be limited to stock or do these hoods usually stop water from dripping onto the engine compartment?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:05 PM

The Mugen hood is very well designed and makes a big difference. But you'll still get heat soak in heavy traffic.

It also has rain guards so you should be fine in the rain.

Honestly though the J's Racing Mugen style hood is of better quality offers similar performance. It doesn't have rain guards, however.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:37 PM

i used to have a CAI and an amuse style hood. I have never had problems with rain when I was driving it in the rain. I'm not saying it won't ever happen, just saying it never seemed to be a problem for me. I may have to rethink that now that my turbo's air filter is RIGHT at the vent, hahahah...she shouldn't be in the rain anymore anyways
Old 08-10-2004, 08:47 PM

How come you're against a CAI? Many members on this board have had one for years without any problems.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:44 AM

I actually agree with his dislike for CAI. Hydrolock for one, especially since I live somewhere where rain is almost constant. It's overly-paranoid, but with a 9k valued engine, I feel justified to be a little over paranoid.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mbilderback,Aug 11 2004, 09:44 AM
I actually agree with his dislike for CAI. Hydrolock for one, especially since I live somewhere where rain is almost constant. It's overly-paranoid, but with a 9k valued engine, I feel justified to be a little over paranoid.

after i installed my cai, i had the same thought, hydrolocking. Now i don't know what im going to do when rain season comes...

here where i live in central cali, my car seems to have heatsoaked when it gets to 103 and 106 degrees... yeah it's been HOT here...
Old 08-11-2004, 10:09 AM

Houston has been getting more than it's fair share of rain. Unless you plan on changing the car into a boat, I just don't see you sucking up water. I think you pretty much have to submerge the filter in water, or am I mistaken?
Old 08-11-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by EssTooKayTD,Aug 11 2004, 10:09 AM
I think you pretty much have to submerge the filter in water, or am I mistaken?
you are correct. but when i see my friend pull out of a parking lot into a street, the front end dips down really low.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You have to submerge the filter almost entirely to get water to suck far enough up the tube to do damage.
Also, it is not driving in heavy rain that is the danger here. It is PARKING the car (with an AEM style of intake) in a heavy rain that is the danger. There have been many discussions about this, so I won't go into it again. Try an advanced search for "umbrella" to see what has been talked about.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

C'mon guys, this hydrolock thing is getting out of control and not well-informed. I'm not saying it's impossible to get it. But you have to submerge the whole filter in a deep puddle of water for it to get hydrolock. While driving in the rain, any droplets that get into the filter will get burned up during combustion. One other thing to watch for also is when parked in heavy rain, you need to manufacture some kind of umbrella over the filter or block the holes that let water run onto the filter, to prevent water from collecting inside the filter. It's possible to get hydrolock that way. But from ordinary driving in the rain, it's not going to happen.

Quick Reply: Vented hood