S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Value of this set up?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,May 18 2007, 03:22 PM
The 2004 is about 10% heavier than the AP1, so, like the RSR drift car, the lighter body with newer engine is a GREAT combination.
The curb weight on the ap1 is just over 2800 lbs. Do the ap2's really weigh over 3000 lbs?
Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iam7head,May 12 2007, 01:00 AM
totally agree.

i wouldn't pay more for a car with original mileage, if there's another one for the same price, i would go for that instead.

the only way to get a higher price is to sell it to a s2000 guy or an idoit.

90 percent of buyer will not be entertained by a "new motor" most of the time
I bought mine with a new motor, though it was installed by the dealer and it was Honda documented why it was replaced. I still got smoked by them lying about other things on the car, but the motor has been plenty strong and the other problems were more about their deceit than the mechanical soundness of the car.

I disagree that people wouldn't buy a car with a swapped motor because I've sold 2 with replaced motors installed by local independent shops, one being a local muffler shop because my friend works there and knows his stuff. He did it more as a favor. Having said that, I didn't replace the motors and sell the car immediately, you HAVE to drive it for quite a while to recoup the cost because you simply won't see it back on the sale.

I'd also go so far as to say that I'd be more likely to buy a car that had a motor swapped 10K ago, as opposed to 12 miles ago where you have to be the tester and cross your fingers that no issues arise in even the first 100 miles.

I don't think OP is screwed in this situation, I think he made all the right decisions based on their situation and intent to sell. It's just a crappy place to be at knowing you had to put $3500 in knowing you're immediately going to eat about $2000+ while enabling yourself to not have to sell the car for $8K or 9$K and lose a serious amount of money.

On a side-but-related note, I'm not sure why there's this blunt hostility towards people looking for advice or info around here these days. Would you say the same harsh stuff in the same tone to the OP's face? If you would, well, you're a dick. We don't have to walk on eggshells around here by any means, but it's not hard to have tact.

Cheers

Edit: I didn't mean that last point towards the poster of the message I quoted, just a general statement.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by CKit,May 18 2007, 03:21 PM
Yup, I don't necessarily trust the techs. That wasn't the point. The point was the warranty if the techs did mess something up. Engine replacements come with a Honda guarantee.

You can rationalize it all you want. We're just posting opinions. Let us know how much it sells for.
I'm not really attempting to rationalize it, I just feel they "Overlooked" the problem in order to FORCE the work to have to be done, assuming she would have no other choice to go to them, purchase the parts at list price, pay them the listed rate ($7k-$10k in total) and essentially increase thier service commissions goal.

Negligence at the price of the consumer is negligence I will not support. It borders on fraud.

The point of a service tech is to be pre-emptive, but the point of the business is to make money off the consumer. Put that together with the fact you are driving a vehicle, and then couple that with the possibility of a road hazard when the piece of equipment they chose to ignore fails at highway speeds, and you have reckless endangerment.

Nope, no rationalization there......
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,May 18 2007, 04:33 PM
I bought mine with a new motor, though it was installed by the dealer and it was Honda documented why it was replaced. I still got smoked by them lying about other things on the car, but the motor has been plenty strong and the other problems were more about their deceit than the mechanical soundness of the car.

I disagree that people wouldn't buy a car with a swapped motor because I've sold 2 with replaced motors installed by local independent shops, one being a local muffler shop because my friend works there and knows his stuff. He did it more as a favor. Having said that, I didn't replace the motors and sell the car immediately, you HAVE to drive it for quite a while to recoup the cost because you simply won't see it back on the sale.

I'd also go so far as to say that I'd be more likely to buy a car that had a motor swapped 10K ago, as opposed to 12 miles ago where you have to be the tester and cross your fingers that no issues arise in even the first 100 miles.

I don't think OP is screwed in this situation, I think he made all the right decisions based on their situation and intent to sell. It's just a crappy place to be at knowing you had to put $3500 in knowing you're immediately going to eat about $2000+ while enabling yourself to not have to sell the car for $8K or 9$K and lose a serious amount of money.

On a side-but-related note, I'm not sure why there's this blunt hostility towards people looking for advice or info around here these days. Would you say the same harsh stuff in the same tone to the OP's face? If you would, well, you're a dick. We don't have to walk on eggshells around here by any means, but it's not hard to have tact.

Cheers

Edit: I didn't mean that last point towards the poster of the message I quoted, just a general statement.
No offense taken.

You provided great information and insite as well as made a very valid point on both counts.

As for the car, you may have a very good point. The fact is shechose not to re-register and let it sit so she wouldn't have to pay the insurance of driving it, so in the garage it has sat. Your point is more than valid though, and something I will present to her.

As for the other issue, yes, I feel the same way. I know people troll or take out their bad day on people in forums because they know the chances of actually meeting the person they tried to piss off is very rare. They also think it makes them look bigger in front of the others. A braggadacio, if you will.....

The fact one can infer the tone of a post is still relevant and valid and that means that we should always use the tact and respect we would respect of others tou ourselves.

Thanks for qualifying my previous statements in that regard. I am relieved I am not the only one to notice this trend.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 AM

I hate to just jump in but I was actually reading my manual last night and it clearly states to check the oil level at each fill up. I have a MY00. I don't know if the manual is the original that came with the car or a replacement.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flyguy8617,May 23 2007, 12:19 PM
I hate to just jump in but I was actually reading my manual last night and it clearly states to check the oil level at each fill up. I have a MY00. I don't know if the manual is the original that came with the car or a replacement.
I have my original MY00 manual and it says the same thing. I think the only car we've ever owned that didn't list that as a part of routine care is the Benz, which turns on a dash light if it ever gets a full quart low. Sadly, I don't think most people ever read the manual, and it seems that even amoung those who do, there are many who still don't check their oil when they gas up.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,May 18 2007, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by harleighquinn @ May 18 2007, 03:22 PM
The 2004 is about 10% heavier than the AP1, so, like the RSR drift car, the lighter body with newer engine is a GREAT combination.
The curb weight on the ap1 is just over 2800 lbs. Do the ap2's really weigh over 3000 lbs?
According to Edmunds...

MY...........Curb Weight
2003........2,809 lbs.
2004-5.....2,835
2006-7.....2,855

So, the AP2 (well, the first version of it ) is about 1% heavier than the AP1, not 10%.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 PM
TB

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,May 11 2007, 08:54 AM
It's not WHAT he stated, but HOW he stated it. You seem to utilize the same testosterone poisoned manner of posting, so I will leave it at that, to avoid the ensuing flame war.
Way to perpetuate that flame war by being passive-aggressively insulting, without addressing my main point!

I take it you're back here defending yourself and your mechanical ability (who are you trying to convince, BTW?) because the car hasn't sold yet?

Be sure to let us know what you sell it for!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=00CivicSI,May 23 2007, 10:55 AM] According to Edmunds...

MY...........Curb Weight
2003........2,809 lbs.
2004-5.....2,835
2006-7.....2,855

So, the AP2 (well, the first version of it
Old 05-23-2007, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=Flyguy8617,May 23 2007, 12:19 PM] I hate to just jump in but I was actually reading my manual last night and it clearly states to check the oil level at each fill up.