S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Value of this set up?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by __redruM,May 11 2007, 01:00 PM
OK, got it

So you did it yourself? Good for you, since it's really the only way to know if it was done right.

I know that and still my opinion is unchanged. Though for a show car, with the work done by the owner, there's a little balance. You can't screw yourself...
Yes, I did it myself. it took Three days, due to my inexperience with Honda, the liquid filled engine mounts, etc, but I did it myself. I was also limited by the hours of the shop. Always a bother......

As for the engine bay thng, some people are just OCD, or anal, or whatever you choose to use......

My jag is a different case, more custom than jag. Most people wouldn't even recognize my redesign as the car it was. The entire front end has changed in sublt and not so subtle ways, as well as the entire rear end, and it's definitely not the stock length any longer....things you can do with a welder and a car nearly no after market supports......
Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,May 11 2007, 12:28 PM
I believe the car will be purchased by an enthusiest who will understand the value of the setup, but of course, that is my opinion....

Yes, we have kept the original ECU, though we have the one for the 2.2L as well that goes with the sale. No, the dash has not been changed. It's still the old AP1 vesion. YES, the rev limit is still 9k.
The 9k redline will be a plus if you find the right buyer.

We have a lot of modified cars (including engine swaps) go through CCR, and what usually happens is that an owner will get the hots for a new car and end up selling his modified vehicle at a huge loss. Those who wait for the right buyer usually do much better, but most people just can't wait, and of course there is always a chance that you will never find the right buyer (one who is both interested in the car, and willing and able to pay your price).

Logical or not, the average person wants a car that has never been touched after leaving the factory, and expect to pay less for a car that has been altered in any way. The quality of the work doesn't matter, because most people want a car that has never been worked on at all (other than routine maintainence). Frankly, I'd rather start with a car that nobody else has worked on either, becuase you really can't know how well the work was done. *YOU* know, but your potential buyers don't, and that will scare many buyers away. Still, if you want a top price for the car and are willing to wait, and you find the right buyer, you'll might welll get at least as much as you'd get if the car were all original.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JackS,Apr 16 2007, 02:23 PM
I'd place the value slightly below a stock S and slightly above a re-title.
However as already mentioned, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Ask a price a little above the average private sale and see what happens. If the car can't be sold, you'll have to drop the price.
Personally, a car without it's original motor, would be far less enticing to me, I don't know if the new one was installed correctly, especially if it wasn't a honda dealer who will back it up... it also leads me to believe the car has been abused... but the most important thing, much like a branded title, is I know my resale value is going to be less and it may take a long time to sell... which is why I'd be more likely to pay $1k more for a 70k mile stock s2000 with all records.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=PDX S2000,May 11 2007, 04:10 PM]
Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 AM

$15k imo. GL
Old 05-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would have been better to pay the full price to have it installed at a Honda Dealer. That way there'd be a warranty and you'd have a chance at getting your money back.

The only benefit of doing it yourself is if you're willing to keep the car.

Sorry, the lack of familiarity with the car and the attitude of "I can do it just fine," just reminds me of the 50/50 racing guys...

No way I would trust anyone but a skilled and experienced Honda mechanic to do work on this engine and tranny... and they still have enough problems as it is.

Good luck. And don't blame us, blame the fickle girlfriend.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by iam7head,May 12 2007, 01:00 AM
totally agree.

i wouldn't pay more for a car with original mileage, if there's another one for the same price, i would go for that instead.

the only way to get a higher price is to sell it to a s2000 guy or an idoit.

90 percent of buyer will not be entertained by a "new motor" most of the time
I would have to disagree. I would take the car with the new motor, assuming it was dealer installed or a well known shop that did the work. I know a local that did just that too. He wanted a track car and he bought the 00 with a new motor.

Also, if I can tell you worked on the motor, I would pass on the car. I have a very good eye and can tell if a vac hose it out of place. I am amazed at how some of the used cars look under the hood when they are returned to stock. If you looked under my hood, you would never know that I have had two motor swaps and a turbo installed and removed.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,May 13 2007, 01:10 PM
Would have been better to pay the full price to have it installed at a Honda Dealer. That way there'd be a warranty and you'd have a chance at getting your money back.

The only benefit of doing it yourself is if you're willing to keep the car.

Sorry, the lack of familiarity with the car and the attitude of "I can do it just fine," just reminds me of the 50/50 racing guys...

No way I would trust anyone but a skilled and experienced Honda mechanic to do work on this engine and tranny... and they still have enough problems as it is.

Good luck. And don't blame us, blame the fickle girlfriend.
You mean teh same skilled and experienced Honda mechanics that told her the rattling vibration she was hearing was more than likely just a heat shield, while they stood there and listened to it themselves at 2 different dealerships?

No thank you.

I hate to say it, guys, but it's like legos, only easier. If you have the torque specs, the correct tools, and no mods need to be made, it's straightforward.

I had all of those things and it's just fine.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,May 18 2007, 12:10 PM
You mean teh same skilled and experienced Honda mechanics that told her the rattling vibration she was hearing was more than likely just a heat shield, while they stood there and listened to it themselves at 2 different dealerships?

No thank you.

I hate to say it, guys, but it's like legos, only easier. If you have the torque specs, the correct tools, and no mods need to be made, it's straightforward.

I had all of those things and it's just fine.
Yup, I don't necessarily trust the techs. That wasn't the point. The point was the warranty if the techs did mess something up. Engine replacements come with a Honda guarantee.

You can rationalize it all you want. We're just posting opinions. Let us know how much it sells for.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stratocaster,May 13 2007, 07:26 PM
I would have to disagree. I would take the car with the new motor, assuming it was dealer installed or a well known shop that did the work. I know a local that did just that too. He wanted a track car and he bought the 00 with a new motor.

Also, if I can tell you worked on the motor, I would pass on the car. I have a very good eye and can tell if a vac hose it out of place. I am amazed at how some of the used cars look under the hood when they are returned to stock. If you looked under my hood, you would never know that I have had two motor swaps and a turbo installed and removed.
A good mechanic (and perfectionsist such as myself) labels everything and takes pictures before pulling anything out.

I agree with the new motor thing, BTW. I look at it from an engineering and performance aspect:

More torque, closer gear ratios, lighter body.

The 2004 is about 10% heavier than the AP1, so, like the RSR drift car, the lighter body with newer engine is a GREAT combination.

But, then again, everyone has thier own opinion.

(Though I do know that RSR when with the 2.2 liter because they just couldn't get enough power out of the 2.0 they originally had to get the tail of the car out, even with the 4.44:1 ratio of the diff. Honda provided them with thier brand new 2.2 liter....)

Quick Reply: Value of this set up?