S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Value of this set up?

Old 04-18-2007, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I don't completely agree with the way xclusive presented himself, I do have to agree a little with what he's saying.

1. If I'm the typical S2000 buyer...not having read any S2KI website, just like the car. Ready to fork out several grand for a hot car, I'm going to look for the cleanest, easiest driven car I can find. Also, when I look for a car, unless I'm 16 and specifially looking for a modded car, I specifically want a car that is completely original, unless it's got Chip Foose's signature on it. A complete engine swap for whatever reason, regardless of whether it's considered an improvement, is typically not desirable and going to drop the value considerably unless someone is specifically looking for that modification. I understand your situation as well though. It's kind of the same way with hail damage or something that ruins the paint. Even if the paint was done better than the factory paint, it's still not original. There's just something about buying a car that hasn't been jacked with at all.

2. Not sure how a Mini Cooper is more practical than an S2000 but to each his (or her) own.

Good luck man.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

For me, an AP1 with a 2.2 and 9k redline would be the holy grail of S2000's. For my money, engine replacement knocks down the value, but 2.2 bumps it back up. I'd love to buy a car with such a setup, but wouldn't pay MORE for it since, due to negligence, a swap was required in the first place.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Apr 18 2007, 07:56 AM
For me, an AP1 with a 2.2 and 9k redline would be the holy grail of S2000's. For my money, engine replacement knocks down the value, but 2.2 bumps it back up. I'd love to buy a car with such a setup, but wouldn't pay MORE for it since, due to negligence, a swap was required in the first place.
alright, it's been a while, so let me go backwards:

There was no negligence involved. She read the service manual (circa 2000. The car says 1999, so it is actually a FIRST in the model lineup...) and maintained all of her required maintenance. She even had her seatbelt and tailight recalls done.

I agree, being a car guy, that the higher torqued engine in the lighter, more DRIVER oriented body is the holy grail of setups. I have heard that the ap1 transmission is the preferred one, but decided to put the AP2 one in anyway, just because. DID have some trouble with the slave cylinder, until I realized we HAD to get the new one, but again, no issues.

F'd with? Tell me what the difference is between a guy who charges me upwards of $110/hour to follow a factory service manual, and myself, with access to a professional shp, hoist AND hydraulic lift, shop tools, AND a factory service manual. Alot of Jaguar owners of the older models do thier own work, I own an '89 XJ-S, you do the math....
Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by S1999,1+Apr 18 2007, 07:48 AM
While I don't completely agree with the way xclusive presented himself, I do have to agree a little with what he's saying.

1. If I'm the typical S2000 buyer...not having read any S2KI website, just like the car. Ready to fork out several grand for a hot car, I'm going to look for the cleanest, easiest driven car I can find. Also, when I look for a car, unless I'm 16 and specifially looking for a modded car, I specifically want a car that is completely original, unless it's got Chip Foose's signature on it. A complete engine swap for whatever reason, regardless of whether it's considered an improvement, is typically not desirable and going to drop the value considerably unless someone is specifically looking for that modification. I understand your situation as well though. It's kind of the same way with hail damage or something that ruins the paint. Even if the paint was done better than the factory paint, it's still not original. There's just something about buying a car that hasn't been jacked with at all.

2. Not sure how a Mini Cooper is more practical than an S2000 but to each his (or her) own.

Good luck man.
I honestly fail to see the logic here. If I went to Honda, had them replace the engine (They do it more often than you might think. Just because they aren't on the forum doesn't mean there aren't some PO'd owners who had to swap there engines due to the SAME issue...call them up and they can get an engine in faster than you think. REALLY talk to some techs and you will find out how many they have replaced....) the value would be the same as NADA or Blue Book, but because I am doing the work it's considereed a swap, and thus lowering the value?

A swap would be what most Honda kids do with thier Civics, or When a jaguar owner swaps for a chevy small block V8, or even myself, now putting a Jaguar 4.0 litre AJV8 into my '89 XJ-S (wanted to keep the heart of the car from teh same manufacturer, couldn't find an AJ16 I6, and the current V12 is a major disappointment.....) But putting the same engine (essentially) into a car fo the same model does not really count as a swap. If it occured and Honda no longer HAD the 2.0 litre block, they would reflash the ECU and do the exact same thing, as long as you were willing to pay for it (upwards of $7K) What was done was necessary, nothing more.

In answer to number two, she could go to Ikea in the MINI. It's a hatch back, so more storage space, you can squeeze people into the back sats of the NEW 2007/08 models (I can even fit in the rear seat of that model, with her in the driver seat COMFORTABLY, and me behind it....) it gets 40 mpg, and it's fun to drive.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=TB,Apr 18 2007, 01:25 AM] Xclusive is right on.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Apr 16 2007, 05:51 PM
Most MY00 owners here on S2kI have NOT had problems with their cars tuning bearings, I know that for a fact, but if you have data on the larger population of owners, please post it so I won't remain so darn ignorant.

Oil pressure gauges are not oil level gauges, and it is the owners responsibility to keep the oil topped up. Failure to do so is as abusive as shifting into second gear and dropping the clutch while traveling at tripple digit speeds.

Threads on S2kI are often very misleading, so if you have some broader statistics to support your claim (JD Power is an excellent source) I'd appreciate it if you would enlighten me.
You are correct in stating it's not a level gauge, but as I stated, she is a girl, blond and ploish, to be precise, and an aries to boot, born on april 1st, for that matter.....

You can see what I deal with when trying to get here to understand ANYTHING....

She DID keep up with her scheduled maintenances though, and, as I stated earlier, evne I checked the 2000 manual and it states nothing about checking oil everytime the gas is filled up, but I have seen a manual from 2002 on that does, so go figure, huh?

As for the data, if I can get it in HARD numbers, I will get it to you, but I can't guaranatee that. I stated in another reply it happened more often than one would think, after talks with both Honda AND Inline Pro, which is in Springfield, VA, not too far from me, btw.....
Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,Apr 15 2007, 04:44 PM
That's a pretty harsh thing to say, especially for someone whom SUPPOSEDLY has a career working on import sports vehicles.
Sorry to join late, but I think that's what makes his point valid. After personally working as a mechanic, I'd say that an engine change brings a lot of potental baggage, that hurts the resale value. I've seen other mechanics screw up something as simple as an oil change, but something as complex as a motor change might have a few bolts left over, even done at the dealership. Also, A brand new engine would be better than a remanufactored engine but still has risk.

On a related topic, the idea of pulling the motor to do a paint job sounds like idiocy to me, for the reasons above.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Apr 16 2007, 06:03 PM
Getting back on topic, in my experience it is always harder to sell a car that has been modified in any way. As long as you are not in any hurry to sell you can usually get a fair price for a modded car, but you have to be patient enough to wait for just the right buyer. Most people will look at the modded car and realize that they will have the same problems selling it that you're apt to have (ie: finding an interested buyer) and they'll want to take that into consideration when they agree on a purchase price.

Because you're dealing with an S2000 and because people prefer various MY's and combinations of MY bits and pieces (mix and match ) it might be a lot easier to find a buyer than it would be with most other cars. I really don't know for sure, but if I were you I'd decide what I wanted for the car and then hold out until I found someone who wanted to pay me what I wanted.

What are you doing about the dash (9k redline while engine has 8k redline) and the ECU? Are you keeping the old ECU, dash, and redline? If so ...
I believe the car will be purchased by an enthusiest who will understand the value of the setup, but of course, that is my opinion....

Yes, we have kept the original ECU, though we have the one for the 2.2L as well that goes with the sale. No, the dash has not been changed. It's still the old AP1 vesion. YES, the rev limit is still 9k.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=__redruM,May 11 2007, 12:23 PM] Sorry to join late, but I think that's what makes his point valid.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,May 11 2007, 09:34 AM
It's not the WHAT, but the HOW, as I stated in a previous reply.....
OK, got it

The only bolts left over were from the previous engine, though I do have an AP2 wiring harness I don't need.....
So you did it yourself? Good for you, since it's really the only way to know if it was done right.

As for the related topic, it's for those guys that want a thourough job, such as show cars, or even perfectionists, and it's really difficult to get a spray gun in there WITH the engine in. I'm doing it for my Jag, but I'm swapping the engine anyway.....
I know that and still my opinion is unchanged. Though for a show car, with the work done by the owner, there's a little balance. You can't screw yourself...

Quick Reply: Value of this set up?