S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Value of this set up?

Old 04-15-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Apr 15 2007, 07:58 PM
I don't see what the big fuss is over 9k... the newer 2.2 was made so that you didn't have to keep the motor so high strung to get power out of it, and it provides more torque and midrange.

I'd much rather have the 2.2 in mine but such is life.
It sort of goes back to the entire marketing point from Honda when the car was introduced....

That point is sort of moot though, since with a 2.0 computer you can have the midrange torque and power while still getting up to 9k rpm.

The car is supposed to be a seat of the pants sports car, driving like a motorcycle, the original S600 being powered by a motorcycle engine chan driven to the rear wheels.

Motorcycles rev to 9k, so did the S2000.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it's worht about 18k. You can find 04s for 20-22k now. I don't think anyone is going to want to spend more than 18k for an 00. If it were an 02/03 I think you'd be able to squeeze 19.

However, I prefer the 00/01 the most. Black is also my 2nd fav. color. If I were in the market for an S I would definitely pay 18k for yours.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Apr 15 2007, 08:22 PM
I would say it's worht about 18k. You can find 04s for 20-22k now. I don't think anyone is going to want to spend more than 18k for an 00. If it were an 02/03 I think you'd be able to squeeze 19.

However, I prefer the 00/01 the most. Black is also my 2nd fav. color. If I were in the market for an S I would definitely pay 18k for yours.
Thanks.

That's actually a great help.

I was wrong about one thing though:

The body only has 48K on it, so it's actually 10k less on the mileage than I thought. Of course the new engine only has 12 miles on it. I'm serious 12 miles.

We couldn't believe it either, but it's true. only 12 miles on the new engine and trans.

At least until we put it into the car anyway.......
Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

im surprised a used 2.2 was cheaper than a used 2.0. especially one with 12 miles. with that being said, i dont blame you for going with the newer motor. some people are going to like the idea of a newer motor and some wont. you cant please everybody, so sell it to someone that likes it. i would start it at $18k-$20k and see what offers you get. then sell the other transmission on ebay or here. good luck with the sale.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,Apr 15 2007, 07:44 PM
That's a pretty harsh thing to say, especially for someone whom SUPPOSEDLY has a career working on import sports vehicles.

The oil starvation issue of the 2000 S2000 2.0 liter engine is almost famous at this point. On this site alone there was discussion as to whether the 2.2 liter engine could go into the 2000 body due to several cases of the engines throwing the same exact rod (number 2) through the side of the block due to the bearing going out of round with no indicator oil was low. It just so happens the 2.2 liter is less costly than the 2.0

What is your screen name again?

This is an issue Honda was quite aware of but it always occured at the same mileage and out of warranty, so you either go to Honda and pay 10k to have it fixed or pay for a car you still own but can't drive, parting it out at the same time. Insurance will not cover it unless it's GAAP insurance, something she is definitely getting on the next car she buys.

We were just lucky to get the entire set up for a 2005 for about at third of the price Honda would want and I just happen to know how to put it in. The Transmission came with the package and it could either go in the car or go on eBay for about a grand. If you were the potential buyer of the car which would you rather have?

I can't believe people come back with the responses they do in order to goad flame wars. It shows an absolute ignorance in communication values and a disrespect for social graces, but I have found it is better to show said culprit the price of thier ignorance. I would absolutely not persue your shop or recommend you based upon the tone and lack of knowledge illustrated in just this response.
Well said
Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the average person looking to buy a s2000 will value that car less then your average 2000 model of similar body mileage because the car has a history. The average person would probably prefer a car that honda built, rather then you (no offense, I'm impressed that you did it yourself).
Someone who knows about the s2000 more will probably like the car as it has a newer engine and MY00 ecu. I think the AP2 tranny would be better personally as it has the new syncros, its brand new, and the clutch delay valve could always be removed.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,Apr 16 2007, 02:09 PM
I think the average person looking to buy a s2000 will value that car less then your average 2000 model of similar body mileage because the car has a history. The average person would probably prefer a car that honda built, rather then you (no offense, I'm impressed that you did it yourself).
Someone who knows about the s2000 more will probably like the car as it has a newer engine and MY00 ecu. I think the AP2 tranny would be better personally as it has the new syncros, its brand new, and the clutch delay valve could always be removed.
It's not that I built it, more I just pulled the older engine and trans and placed the new one, though I did have to purchase the new slave cylinder for the transmission, the one part that was missing from the setup.

The entire setup cost us about 3500.00, so yes, cheaper than getting components from Honda, and honda and any shop wanted betwen 2k-3k to install it. I realized I could do it myself and did so. With a service manual it's essentially plug an d play and there is no need to remove the bumper or Rad with an engine hoist. A lift is required for the transmission, but I am able to go to a hobby shop and utilize one of those.

Thanks or the support.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by orangebarius,Apr 16 2007, 12:06 PM
im surprised a used 2.2 was cheaper than a used 2.0. especially one with 12 miles. with that being said, i dont blame you for going with the newer motor. some people are going to like the idea of a newer motor and some wont. you cant please everybody, so sell it to someone that likes it. i would start it at $18k-$20k and see what offers you get. then sell the other transmission on ebay or here. good luck with the sale.
The transmission we have available now is the 2000. Is that the one you are saying we should put on eBay? I hope so, because I am not about to swap them out now. LOL!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by onfire01,Apr 16 2007, 01:36 PM
Well said
Thank you.

I have learned tact and diplomacy can be applied to any situation, and I despise when those detracting say a tone cannot be determined in a forum setting as it is rubbish.

I hope that helped in the avoidance of flame wars and assists in the stimulation of a productive forum.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd place the value slightly below a stock S and slightly above a re-title.
However as already mentioned, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Ask a price a little above the average private sale and see what happens. If the car can't be sold, you'll have to drop the price.

Quick Reply: Value of this set up?