S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Value of this set up?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of this set up?

What would be the resale value, in anyone's opinion, of a 2000 Berlinetta Black S2000 with red interior and a 2005 2.2 Liter engine and 2005 transmission?

My girlfriend is thinking of selling her's after after I put the new engine in it and is contemplating if she should get the new slave cylinder for the 2005 transmission that came with the package we purchased to replace the original engine that threw a rod through the side after oil starvation with no indicator on the oil light her oil was low.

We know the preferred set up is the new engine with the older transmission, but the fact is we think the resale value would be higher with the new transmission as well.

The body has 58k miles and the engine has 12 miles on it. It has a new 2005 clutch and flywheel and all associated parts but we chose to keep the 2000 ECU due to the noticeable increase in power achieved due to the fueling maps over the 2005 ECU, which we also have.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as she wants to make a decision on this fairly soon.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by harleighquinn,Apr 14 2007, 11:06 PM
What would be the resale value, in anyone's opinion, of a 2000 Berlinetta Black S2000 with red interior and a 2005 2.2 Liter engine and 2005 transmission?
ap1 body with f22c1 .. lol. i like ap2 body with the f20c1 but that's just me

ap2 transmision

I would say your car is worth whatever a berlina with red interior goes for with 58k miles.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Well the ap1 is lighter than the ap2, So that means more torque off the line with less weight makes it a pretty formidable set up.

The RSR drift car has the same setup as well, less the transmission. Their engine was supplied to them by Honda directly.

We were just lucky to get our setup with ALL ancillaries at a good price.

The NADA states the car is worth a little over 16k, at the mileage on the body. Of course I think the car is worth a little over 20k due to the new 2.2l engine and 2005 trans with carbon gears, revised synchros and shorter gear ratios, the fact the engine and transmission only has 12 miles on it before the install not withstanding. The new engine and trans alone are worth over 6k and a professional install puts it at 10k. and of course the new S2000s have been neutered to 8300rpm even though the engine can still easily rev to 9000rpm.

The changes on the new car were to make it more driveable for the AVERAGE driver Honda hoped with expand the market of the car to. Of course that actually shot themselves in the foot, since it now made the car LESS desireable in comparison to other cars on the market such as the RX8, G35, 350z, etc. And now they have Saturn Skys and Pontiac Solstices to contend with, as well as the old standby MX5 Miata......

Believe me, she loves the car and drives it better than most of the boy racers who THINK they know how to drive, and I think the car is the best value for the price due to what it comes with and what it does. Hell, an automatic top is OPTIONAL on a Z3 up to about '05, and that car cost a hell of alot more.

She just decided she wants a more practical car. She's thinking about a new MINI.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 AM

Well unfortunately, like any major modification, your list of buyers is now only those with the same interests as yourself. The car no longer has a standard resell value, because of it's uniqueness, it's only worth what someone will pay for it.
The average consumer wants a standard car that he/she can take to anyone and have work done to it. Now when you go into a parts store you know what to ask for. The next driver of that car will not. This makes it very difficult and very undesirable to own the car.
Even in the regular world of buying cars, a brand new engine in a used car doesn't really raise the value of the car.

Your best bet is going to be to try to sell the car at racing events.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 AM

I would say that its worth less then what that car would usually sell for since its been F'd with... I wouldn't want a car that needed a new engine/tranny but that is just me.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by XclusiveAutosports,Apr 15 2007, 11:37 AM
I would say that its worth less then what that car would usually sell for since its been F'd with... I wouldn't want a car that needed a new engine/tranny but that is just me.
That's a pretty harsh thing to say, especially for someone whom SUPPOSEDLY has a career working on import sports vehicles.

The oil starvation issue of the 2000 S2000 2.0 liter engine is almost famous at this point. On this site alone there was discussion as to whether the 2.2 liter engine could go into the 2000 body due to several cases of the engines throwing the same exact rod (number 2) through the side of the block due to the bearing going out of round with no indicator oil was low. It just so happens the 2.2 liter is less costly than the 2.0

What is your screen name again?

This is an issue Honda was quite aware of but it always occured at the same mileage and out of warranty, so you either go to Honda and pay 10k to have it fixed or pay for a car you still own but can't drive, parting it out at the same time. Insurance will not cover it unless it's GAAP insurance, something she is definitely getting on the next car she buys.

We were just lucky to get the entire set up for a 2005 for about at third of the price Honda would want and I just happen to know how to put it in. The Transmission came with the package and it could either go in the car or go on eBay for about a grand. If you were the potential buyer of the car which would you rather have?

I can't believe people come back with the responses they do in order to goad flame wars. It shows an absolute ignorance in communication values and a disrespect for social graces, but I have found it is better to show said culprit the price of thier ignorance. I would absolutely not persue your shop or recommend you based upon the tone and lack of knowledge illustrated in just this response.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say your car is worth whatever a berlina with red interior goes for with 58k miles.
personally i would think its going to be hard tryin to sell it for anymore....yes it does have an ap2 engine and everything but i dont think many people will care imo.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jfw432,Apr 15 2007, 09:49 AM
Well unfortunately, like any major modification, your list of buyers is now only those with the same interests as yourself. The car no longer has a standard resell value, because of it's uniqueness, it's only worth what someone will pay for it.
The average consumer wants a standard car that he/she can take to anyone and have work done to it. Now when you go into a parts store you know what to ask for. The next driver of that car will not. This makes it very difficult and very undesirable to own the car.
Even in the regular world of buying cars, a brand new engine in a used car doesn't really raise the value of the car.

Your best bet is going to be to try to sell the car at racing events.
Thanks, that's very good advice. I'm not sure if she will do exactly that, but it helps.

Believe me, we didn't want to replace the engine, but take into account a woman was driving it, and like an indy car driver, she could drive it really well, but knew nothing about it. If the low oil light didn't come on, she didn't know the oil should be checked periodically. A friend at Honda (he was a service manager, before he became disgusted with Honda and now services Chevy Corvettes....) didn't even notice the low oil light until he was on a hill and couldn't identify the issue she was having, which every Honda tech told her was a rattleing heat shield.

She added oil to the car, it began to sound like a bag of pots and pans left in a dryer, and then the rod was thrown through the side.

I actually researched and found about ten cases, at least, of the same thing happening. Honda's answer? Spend 7k to 10k to replace the engine. Even the guys at the shop I go to knew immediatley that S2000s engines blow up at about 50k miles.

It's something Honda had to know about and modified the owners manual after 2000 to state oil should be checked periodically.

Why?

Because the Vtec solenoid assists in the consumption of oil, requiring oil to be checked more than your service tec suggests, though I do have a print out of the service bulletin from Honda.

There's a reason Spoon disengages their solenoids.....

Anyway, thank you for the advice. It will hopefully be very helpful.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see what the big fuss is over 9k... the newer 2.2 was made so that you didn't have to keep the motor so high strung to get power out of it, and it provides more torque and midrange.

I'd much rather have the 2.2 in mine but such is life.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by a_red_s2k,Apr 15 2007, 07:51 PM
personally i would think its going to be hard tryin to sell it for anymore....yes it does have an ap2 engine and everything but i dont think many people will care imo.
You are probably right, but you have to admit she must attempt to recoupe the cost of not having been able to drive a car she's nearly paid off while it has been in storage for 2 years. We've had teh engine the entire time, she just wouldn't let me put it in because she's so disgusted with how Honda handled the issue, she just didn't want to think about it.

Now it's about time to just get the eyesore out of the garage and get on with having a car. She really doesn't need a car, that's why she had an S2000, but she want's a MINI now and this one has to go first.

She knows it's worth more than 16k, but is wondering how to get that across, hence why I am doing this for her, so to speak.

Quick Reply: Value of this set up?