S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: VAFC Radio Mount COMPLETE! Updated Pics W/in!
Self Assemble Kit $150
50.00%
Pre Assembled Kit $200
50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

VAFC Radio Mount COMPLETE! Updated Pics W/in!

Old 03-28-2002, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After many weeks of destroying radio doors I have finally come up with a solution to mount the VAFC in the Radio Door successfully and securely. I had a laser cutting shop cut the outside of the radio door with a laser cutter to the exact measurements of the VAFC...I can't even slip paper inbetween the seem between the VAFC and the door. Then I had the inside of the door laser cut to hold the VAFC and wire in place and then I needed to modify the underneeth of the inside of the radio door so there was room for the VAFC Wiring which I didn't want to see. And here is the end result!

Drivers Position Unit Off

Left Side View

Right Side View

Inside

Inside Closeup

Drivers Position Unit On

Now if anyone would like this awesome look for you VAFC you are in luck because I am going to be hosting a GB so we can cut down on the cost of the parts and laser cutting. There are two minor setbacks everyone should know though.

The first issue is that the VAFC unit is sealed inside the door and therefore I need to have the VAFC when I seal the two peices of the door back together. This might not be a problem for some but for other's that need there VAFC to run there car this is a huge problem...so I am offering a second option. For a lower price I will do all of the laser cutting and modifications and I will send you a kit of both sides of the modified door and the epoxy to seal it back together along with detailed instructions on how to assemble the new door peice correctly.

The second issue is that now with the weight of the VAFC on the radio door and because the radio door has the VAFC wire holding it down it doesn't open as smoothly as it did before. Before you could just push on it and it would then dislatch and slowly open...now you need to push on it to dislatch it and give it a little nudge downward but I repeat the door is still 99% functional! You just have to help it open as the factory spring is not strong enough to push the VAFC on the door.

The installation kits will come with everything you need to install the door. The kits will be $150 plus shipping for the self assemble kit and $200 plus shipping for the pre-assembled kit. I am also looking into the possibility of buying VAFC's and possibly the new VAFC harnesses to offer a complete one solution package...I will keep you updated on this in the future.

Since each kit is made to order it will take approx 2 weeks for the kits to get to your door from the close of the GB. I will be starting the first group buy next week if there is interest in this. Please post at the top of this thread if you are planning on purchasing either kit so I know there is still interest. I don't want to set this all up and not have anyone interested. Also this kit will work with any aftermarket headunits as well as long as the headunit fits behind the radio door.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:51 AM

That looks really great! You have one potentially interested customer here. Can you please discuss the wiring. From the pictures I can't tell. I would like to know how your kit "hides" the wire and how you ran it.

Once again, good job.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hiroprotaganist
[B]That looks really great!
Old 03-28-2002, 08:09 AM

Please put me down for one. The self assembly one, for $150. When do you think this will be available? Cuz I need it asap....

Man, I love this board... so many cool items!
Old 03-28-2002, 08:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HeNeSSeY
[B]Please put me down for one.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:12 AM

WOW! That looks done very clean looking.

Oh yea, does it get in the way while shifting?
Old 03-28-2002, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kyle
[B]WOW!
Old 03-28-2002, 11:58 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

CL,
I assume we'd send send you our radio door for the cutting/mods?
John
Old 03-28-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by twohoos
CL,
I assume we'd send send you our radio door for the cutting/mods?
John
Actually no...the price includes a new radio door!
That way you can always put it back to stock!
Old 03-28-2002, 01:45 PM

Cyber - Let me know when you can get the package, preassembled and plug-and-play! I need the VAFC also and may as well get it all from the same source! Awesome job!!

Quick Reply: VAFC Radio Mount COMPLETE! Updated Pics W/in!