S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Using the stock airbox to hide a turbo

Old 10-11-2024 | 02:15 PM

Question Using the stock airbox to hide a turbo

This is just a silly question that I have been curious about. Since the stock airbox on the s2k is so large would a smaller 40-45mm turbo fit inside the airbox to hide it away and make a "sleeper", like plumb everything through it and plumb a aluminum intake runner inside of the plastic one to keep the stock look. I know the turbo might get hot in such a tight space but I think it would be really cool.
Old 10-11-2024 | 03:06 PM
10 Year Member

Silly idea, and will catch fire
Old 10-11-2024 | 04:16 PM
10 Year Member

Yeah, especially since it would sit right above. Asking for trouble.

Somebody did this with the original KW sc kit, the one that used smaller C30-94 rotrex mounted down low below oil filter area. Stealth.

I thought about trying to do something similar with the C38 rotrex, but simply not gonna work.

I saw LHT did a stealth airbox with a turbo mounted back under header for a client. Something it seemed they were going to offer as a service.
Old 10-11-2024 | 04:41 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Clayson000
This is just a silly question that I have been curious about. Since the stock airbox on the s2k is so large would a smaller 40-45mm turbo fit inside the airbox to hide it away and make a "sleeper", like plumb everything through it and plumb a aluminum intake runner inside of the plastic one to keep the stock look. I know the turbo might get hot in such a tight space but I think it would be really cool.
Its plastic, bruv
Old Yesterday | 07:29 AM

It is but heat raps and heat shield is a thing and I wouldn't push a ton of power through it, something like 7-8psi just to get above the 300hp mark. or get a custom made aluminum box the looks close enough
Old Yesterday | 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Silly idea, and will catch fire
maybe, heat raps and heat shielding might work, or making a custom aluminum box and making it look like the stock box. also I wouldn't run a ton of power, maybe 7-8psi.
Old Yesterday | 01:09 PM
10 Year Member

Try putting your hand near a turbo heat blanket when engine warm. Like the couple inches the airbox would be above a front mount turbo.

Keep in mind its already way cooled off vs in use by the time you stop and pop hood.
Old Yesterday | 02:57 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

It is but heat raps and heat shield is a thing and I wouldn't push a ton of power through it, something like 7-8psi just to get above the 300hp mark. or get a custom made aluminum box the looks close enough
No...you don't want to enclose a turbo.

Also...why do you want to hide the turbo? People are going to see the piping, the intercooler, and hear all the noises.

If you have an aluminum box with piping coming in and out of it..and the exhaust piping is also routed into it...how "secret" is this going to be?
Old Yesterday | 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
No...you don't want to enclose a turbo.

Also...why do you want to hide the turbo? People are going to see the piping, the intercooler, and hear all the noises.

If you have an aluminum box with piping coming in and out of it. And the exhaust piping is also routed into it...how "secret" is this going to be?
it wouldn't be fully enclosed, the bottom would be completely open to allow piping and cooling of the turbo. I want to hide it because I'm weird like that, I don't care about the look of a turbo sitting in my engine bay but I still want it in the bay, the only thing people would see would be the intercooler. If I pipe everything down out the bottom of the box it would be concealed enough, the charge pipe would be inside of the stock intake tube. for the sound I could maybe make it double walled with a sound isolation layer in-between the layers. I also would want to keep a stock sounding exhaust to keep noise down.
Old Yesterday | 05:34 PM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

it wouldn't be fully enclosed, the bottom would be completely open to allow piping and cooling of the turbo. I want to hide it because I'm weird like that, I don't care about the look of a turbo sitting in my engine bay but I still want it in the bay, the only thing people would see would be the intercooler. If I pipe everything down out the bottom of the box it would be concealed enough, the charge pipe would be inside of the stock intake tube. for the sound I could maybe make it double walled with a sound isolation layer in-between the layers. I also would want to keep a stock sounding exhaust to keep noise down.
Well, give it a go. Share some photos when you get it done!