S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Urgent: Valve cover issues

Old 06-28-2002, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by S2SaV
Thanks for all the replys. The plugs are now out, but the big question is . . .how do you move the crankshaft to go to TDC. The Helm doesn't mention anything about it.
There is the crankshaft nut in the front of the engine; turn that with a socket or wrench.

Step 7 states to "rotate the crankshaft 180 deg clockwise..." in adjusting valve clearance.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:05 AM

I think this should work, but I've never done it on a RWD car..

put a block in front of the front wheels, and then put the car up on a jack and jackstands, with the rear wheels up in the air. put the shifter in 5th gear, and rotate the driver's side rear wheel until you see the mark for TDC. 6th gear might be easier, but I'm not sure.

Matt
Old 06-28-2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Prolene
There is the crankshaft nut in the front of the engine; turn that with a socket or wrench.
I'm at work so I can't really run out and look, but do not turn the motor by the cam gear bolts. again.. do not turn the motor by the cam gear bolts. there should be a nut like Prolene described. I believe it's a 19mm, but don't quote me on that.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by SECRET AP1

I'm at work so I can't really run out and look, but do not turn the motor by the cam gear bolts. again.. do not turn the motor by the cam gear bolts. there should be a nut like Prolene described. I believe it's a 19mm, but don't quote me on that.
It is a 19mm. I agree, please don't try to turn the engine via the cam gears.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, you know from all the questions u have asked i think u should button the car up and take it to a dealer to adjust the valves 4 u. Your questions are very basic and demonstrate that you should probably be taught what to do properly and not rely on questions and answers on an internet board. For example your lack of general knowledge for removing any bolt on gasket sealed part from a motor,
turning a motor by the cams , please don't take this as an insult, non intented, but having taught auto shop on the h.s. level, i would tell my own son "why don't u sign up for an after hours course so u learn the basics before ending up in deep shit on your beautiful car".
Old 06-28-2002, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why shouldn't you turn it via the cam gears?

I always have.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:06 PM

One more thing to remember. In all the cars I've adjusted, you put the feeler guage in between the cam and the follower.

For the S2000 this is NOT correct. The gap is between the valve tip and the rocker arm (not nearly as easy to get at, in my opinion).

(FYI - I found this out the hard way - sigh.)
Old 06-28-2002, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by krazik
why shouldn't you turn it via the cam gears?

I always have.
Hmmm. I wouldn't have had the nerve to find out, but it is interesting that it works ok. I thought it might possibly be akin to turning the wrong shaft of a worm gear, or putting too much force on a component being turned by other more massive components, causing undue stress or damage, so I have never tried that.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:34 PM
SaV

Just got back from adjusting them . . .they tick louder now . I also turned the crankshaft by the cam-gear bolt too. The helms says that the feeler should have some drag. Can you guys tell me how much drag there should be, 'cuz I only set it when there was a "slight" resistance. This ticking is driving me crazy!!!!!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you sure you don't have a #4 failure? What kind of ticking exactly?

Quick Reply: Urgent: Valve cover issues