S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Upgrading Suspension

Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about adding Ricks Billet brace? Does that makes much of a difference as far as handling?
Old 03-27-2006, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of coilovers, I was wondering about the D2's seeing as how they are 36 way adjustable. Are these no good? They are a great looking piece and I wan to know if they perform as well as they look.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deanjones,Mar 27 2006, 01:52 PM
How about adding Ricks Billet brace? Does that makes much of a difference as far as handling?
No, not much (if any) effect on handling. Some have said they feel a slight improvement on rough roads but the majority of owners claim that the difference is negligible.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=deanjones,Mar 27 2006, 12:13 AM]Since the S suspension is so awesome to begin with, is it worth it to upgrade it?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:38 PM

..forget to add Zeal in the equation.., those are good, mid-high range, too.

Feeling is a very tricky thing to explain, let alone compare yours to mine. Springs and stock shocks combo sure feel nice first time you put them in, but I'm sure even though you still feel the same on the 365th day. When you put it on the shock-dyno, the out come would be different.

Stock shocks are optimize for stock springs and stock springs only. It's only a matter of time when they're gonna go. There're lots of roads and turns around here that I can easily out run and out turn my lowered S in my Civic.., it's absolutely pathetic. I even traded the car with that stupid springs in it!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=dyhppy,Mar 27 2006, 02:42 AM]dont fix it if it dont feel broke.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Mar 27 2006, 05:13 PM
I agree; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The stock suspension is a good compromise for most drivers and most conditions. Any changes you make will alter the balance of compromise, so I'd suggest leaving the suspension alone unless you have specific goals in mind.
Excellent advice. I have gone back and forth ever since I bought my car as to whether I should make changes to the suspension. In the final analysis I have decided to leave well enough alone.

Until my driving skills outpace the stock suspension it makes no sense to make that change to the car. Cosmetically, the car looks nicer lowered but the tradeoff in ride comfort and strut wear is not worth it to me.

Someone queried about a setup that is 36-way adjustable. I wouldn't know where to begin. I would suggest if you're monitoring this thread to find out if lowering the car is worth it... upgrading to a suspension that allows 36 adjustments would be a mistake.

The point to be made is that the stock suspension setup on the car is wonderful. The only reason I can see for making changes is to improve track times where the greatest demands are put on the car. If you're driving your car as hard on the street as I do on the track... I don't want you livin' near me.
-golfpro
Old 03-27-2006, 02:58 PM

I don't drive as hard on the street as I would the track. I am not trying to kill anybody! I was just asking because I want something that I can drive on the street and take to the track. I would really enjoy the adjustability. I also like the idea of being able to better balance the car with the coilovers.

Any additional info is greatly appreciated. I tried searching for D2 coilovers on the site but I couldn't find much info.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=IIGQ4U,Mar 27 2006, 06:58 PM]I don't drive as hard on the street as I would the track.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:15 PM

I faced this decision and decided I wanted a slightly stiffer ride, less body roll, and more suspension control on the track. I don't drive far, nor do I drive overly agressive on the road. I'm a track noob, but will continue to increase my track time (addicting ), and I want to start autocrossing, but I'm not concerned about stock/non-stock class - I just want to work on the course and my driving.

I also like to work on my cars, so with all this decided to add on a comptech adjustable ant-sway bar, KW Variant3 shocks, and some rims / tires for the track. Depends on your goals, and how you use the car - this car is our "3rd" car so I have a bit more leeway on setting up for rougher ride. I'll post back once I get everything installed and tuned to my liking - but I do need to find a shop that has some scales for corner weighing/tuning. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Upgrading Suspension