S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Upgrading Suspension

Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Suspension

Since the S suspension is so awesome to begin with, is it worth it to upgrade it? Will I get noticeable performance gains in suspension if I upgrade it? If so, where do you suggest I start looking to get a better understanding of upgrading it and what do you suggest for parts?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:43 PM

yea, im' in the same dilemna with no responses to my post either..
Old 03-26-2006, 10:07 PM

The question is why do you want to upgrade the suspension?

Is this going to be a dedicated track car? If so then it may be advisable to do so. Also to get some significant gains, you will need to spend a good amount fo cash on some coilover kits etc.

I had the opportunity to buy the full adjustable Spoon coilovers at an amazing price (guy selling it is a great bloke and a friend) but I declined because that is not the route I wanted to go. Mine is a daily driver which sees some auto x and track time so the suspension is perfect the way it is - stock!

Many have gone with Koni Yellow shocks coupled with a decent set of sport springs and have been pleased with the results.

So answer the above question and that will be a great help in getting a response!

Old 03-26-2006, 10:33 PM

depends on how you drive the car
in my case i changed the coilovers because although stock is great i agree, still not good enough for the way i driving.
Vision is also a reason to change it, lowered S i guess most people would think it looks better than the original height.
And if you want to change it just for the second reason, don't recomend you to do other things like only change the springs but change the whole set coilovers.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont fix it if it dont feel broke. the stock S suspension is the best of any car ive ever driven, stock or aftermarket. but then again, maybe i dont know jack.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 PM

why cant their be some coilovers in the 800-1000 range, that offer both great ride quality and a decent improvement over stock? Like the Mugen Sport suspension for the RSX's? or is there?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:33 AM

With all the info I've been gather on this board since day one, notthing in $800-$1,000 would surpass stock set up, no way...

Consensus, H&R and Bilstain is a good start at lower-end, and are good for daily drive with occasional track. A bit up from that, there's KW and high-end Tain. Then the other end of the spectrum, there're Moton, Ohlin, etc, and that is only the fundamental of your suspension tuning.

To compleat the whole picture as said "suspension tuning", you need those to match your sway bar, coner balance, ride high, alignment, and your driving style, and more..
Old 03-27-2006, 03:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsa1,Mar 27 2006, 03:19 AM
why cant their be some coilovers in the 800-1000 range, that offer both great ride quality and a decent improvement over stock? Like the Mugen Sport suspension for the RSX's? or is there?
Differences in design, and no - not really.....unless your opinion of good suspension is different than mine.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 AM

Just to add my 2 cents...I recently put swift springs on my otherwise stock suspension and have been very happy with it. The drop is not huge, around an inch in the rear and 3/4 in the front, but it has changed the handling for the better, in my opinion.

I do a lot of driving on the freeways here in LA and lots of them are concrete. That results in expansion joints at set intervals on the roads. On the stock suspension, my car would get in a hobbyhorse kind of oscillation that was not a lot of fun. Although the swift springs have resulted in a stiffer ride, the suspension seems less "bouncy" My car hits bumps a bit harder, but seems to deal with them more efficiently.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^hopefully they hold up a while

Another question about coilovers and shocks is how long they last.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Suspension