S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Update on the windshield tape

Old 11-29-2000, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealership claimed that the tape wasn't supposed to be removed. They gave my dad a shop to go to, and they worked on it for an hour, and apparently it looks better, but a few scratches are still visible.

The shop suggested they repaint the frame...$153. My worry is that the paint won't match perfectly, and I won't be satisfied. They said they bake the paint (but how, they can't remove the windshield frame, can they?). I'm thinking I should wait til I can see the scratches again for myself, and then decide what to do.

Of all cars that will have the windshield tape removed, why mine? Well...any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2000, 06:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Jay,

My car's been hit twice. Looking at it you could never tell. If they match the paint properly it should look perfect. If the scratches aren't very noticeable I'd leave it as is though.
Old 11-29-2000, 06:12 PM

I agree on the paint match. Our front bumper was repainted and it is just as good a match as the original. I can't tell it has been repainted. If the shop is good you should not be able to tell. Good Luck.

Old 11-29-2000, 06:14 PM

laster...it has the same metallic shine, color, everything? Is it really a completely perfect match? (If you couldn't tell, I'm very picky when it comes to this car)
Old 11-29-2000, 06:28 PM

To be fair, I think my shop is very good. I also talked to them in advance and made it very clear that I wanted it PERFECT. They painted it twice and had to buff it out twice on the second try before they let me see it. That said, I will reiterate. You can NOT tell it has been repainted! Find a reputable shop or dealer and put your faith in them, assuming that you are not happy with the results of the repair so far.

Larry
Old 11-29-2000, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay,

I'm going to be in St. Louis for a wedding the last weekend of December. Are you going to be around? Would like to meet you, shake your hand, swap some stories, and toast your car with you.
Old 11-29-2000, 06:50 PM

Well I just had a lengthy discussion with my dad. He said the body shop is very reputable, and everyone there was very professional...they worked on the car for 2 hours today, and didn't charge anything. That being said...I'm going to go ahead and get the frame repainted, which is what my father said he'd do if it were his own car.

My dad will reiterate to the shop that it must be absolutely perfect, and if he has confidence in the place, I guess I'll go ahead with it. If all else fails, I could always get the tape again and have it put on. They said it could take about 3-5 days...this sound normal? I have no experience so I just wanted to double-check.

Rick, I will be in town the last weekend of December, and it would be great to get together for a little while. Just drop me an e-mail.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:18 PM

I was told by the dealer to be careful when painting over an aluminum surface. I do not know if this is a a true statement. You may want to ask Larry from Body Werks. If anybody knows he should.

Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:23 PM

Is the windshield frame aluminum? I didn't think so, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-29-2000, 09:40 PM

The windshield frame is steel, as it is an integral part of the rollover protection on the the s2k.

Quick Reply: Update on the windshield tape