S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Update on Rear End Issue

Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update on Rear End Issue

Could then be the issue. I lifted my rear end today and started spinning the tires. passanger side seemed ok, driver side seemed to make small noise. Spinned more and it sounded like a grinding noise. Finally, turned on the car as the car was lifted and accelerated and dad was hearing the noise. He mentioned all the noise came out of the drivers side wheel. He mentioned it might be the wheeel bearing but wasn't sure. Didn,t hear anything from the diff. So first off hopefully this is the case and i will be saving alot of money.. But have some questions...

First off, whats the cost of the wheel bearing and probably labor. Is this a tough piece to change out.

Can it be something else making all the noise from the drivers side rear tire.

How long can i go without replacing the wheel bearing.

If I dont replace it soon, what more damage can i cause on the car(reason i would prob have to wait at least a week is to get the piece discounted from a friend in honda).

How do these things go bad??

Thanks for any help..
Old 04-23-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is the wheel bearing.. you shouldnt have a problem riding on it for another week.

If you replace the wheel bearing, you have to replace the hub aswell since when the wheel bearing breaks, it tears up the hub. I think its about 160 in parts (bearing and hub) off of Majestic Honda (probably the same price you will get it for).

You will need the bearing pressed onto the hub, but other than that, its not too involved, hardest part will probably be taking off the axle nut.

Where are you located in South FL? And can you do something for me... The next time you have the wheel off the ground, grab the wheel/tire at 12 and 6 (top and bottom), and see if there is any play, like are you able to wiggle it a little bit. I have a humming noise that seems to be a wheel bearing, but have no play... and havent got any help on these forums yet about it.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 PM

Im by bird bowl or if your not fimiliar with the area, close to kendall. I did feel a bit of play on that side of the wheel but I thought that was a bit normal. Good to know it wont be that damaging to my bank account.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe this should be in UTH, not S2000 Talk.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Just purchased the hub and the bearing.. 171 locally. Just to add and make sure its the hub or bearing, when I rode the car back home yesterday, (20 minute ride), after i touched both rims in the rear on the cap and the top part. The passanger side felt warm while the driver side was hot. Couln't leave my finger on it. What does this mean, does this mean when this heats up so much.

On a side note, there is a couple of clicks I hear from 8-20 mph, might be at higher speeds but the noise of the bearings gets to loud, what can this clicking be. Its an occasional clicking. Could this be the bearing hitting the hub??
Old 04-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, the service manual makes it very clear you DO NOT want to raise both tires off the ground and engage them in gear. It explains this in the section that talks about how to check that the LSD is working properly.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM

VIdeo clip of my wheel bearing that went bad.. it was the drivers side as well.. I did the install myself its easy to do as long as you have the proper tools and press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQ5Rqk8-hM
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by milkbubble,Apr 24 2007, 02:29 PM
VIdeo clip of my wheel bearing that went bad.. it was the drivers side as well.. I did the install myself its easy to do as long as you have the proper tools and press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsQ5Rqk8-hM
Im pretty sure thats what mine sounds like.

Did you have any play in your wheel bearing before you replaced it?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by rikhemi,Apr 24 2007, 11:09 AM
Just purchased the hub and the bearing.. 171 locally. Just to add and make sure its the hub or bearing, when I rode the car back home yesterday, (20 minute ride), after i touched both rims in the rear on the cap and the top part. The passanger side felt warm while the driver side was hot. Couln't leave my finger on it. What does this mean, does this mean when this heats up so much.

On a side note, there is a couple of clicks I hear from 8-20 mph, might be at higher speeds but the noise of the bearings gets to loud, what can this clicking be. Its an occasional clicking. Could this be the bearing hitting the hub??
That means that the wheel bearing is most likely toasted on that side (drivers side that was HOT). The bearing is worn out, and generating heat with the extra friction.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by aero3685,Apr 24 2007, 07:01 PM
Im pretty sure thats what mine sounds like.

Did you have any play in your wheel bearing before you replaced it?
No wheel play at all. And I wrestled with the wheel to see if i can get any out of it. Here is what I did to diagnose it. I used a stethascope and put it on the rear knuckle while the car was lifted off the ground on stands. The sounds was VERY obvious.. Compare it to the other side and you will definitly know.

Here is the tool i used. They come in handy and are cheap!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/subcat.do?B...ord=stethascope

Quick Reply: Update on Rear End Issue