S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

UPDATE: Insurance For Modified Cars...

Old 01-22-2002, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE: Insurance For Modified Cars...

Many of you know I was researching Insurance for modified cars. Here is my update on the subject.

After trying to go through 10-15 "specialty insurance" companies that claimed to insure exotic, rare, classic or modifed cars, I've learned that NONE of them will cover a Honda S2000.

The ONLY company that will cover a modified (engine) Honda S2000 is Progressive. You have to get coverage through an agent, Progressive does not work directly with customers on setting up new non-Standard policies. The quotes are nothing to smile at. The quotes for me, being 25 years old and having one ticket (on my record), with the car being a daily driver were $491/month with a 50/100/50 coverage with a $500 deductible on a stated policy sayiing the car is worth $30K. I got another quote for the car NOT being daily driver and it was $190/month with a 50/100/50 coverage with a $500 deductible on a stated policy saying the car is worth $30K.

I've already purchased a daily driver, and want to have my S2000 and all of my mods covered (or the value of the car w/ it's mods), so I'll most likely be going with Progressive to cover the car. I was hoping/expecting to pay much less for the insurance, but I don't have much of a choice. I have contacted as many as 10 agents and as many as 20 different insurance companies in the last month; this seems to be the only way to go.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:16 PM
d2d

$491/month with a 50/100/50 coverage with a $500 deductible on a stated policy sayiing the car is worth $30K...
eekstain. that's robbery. I had thought that stuff was actually covered by homeowners/renters insurance...that is until I got my last car stolen and found out the hard way.

unless your making money with the modded car, doesnt seem affordable
Old 01-22-2002, 12:17 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Wes,

Did you try Allstate. I have my modded Prelude covered as "stated value". That is, I pay a slightly elevated premium, but nothing compared to yours. If anything happens to the Prelude, they cover me for the KBB value, and a good percentage of everything that added up in the stated value. All they ask for at the time of claim, is a receipt of everything I have claimed on the car.

Although, my agent was a bit more proactive...he asked me for copies of all the receipts in advance and has them stored for me in a file and in soft copy.

I have some goodies coming for the S2K as well, and will insure it in this manner as well.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:30 PM

Ouch. I think you would do just as well to insure the car as stock and put the difference in a savings account.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Luder94
Did you try Allstate.
I called them directly and they told me they do not cover modified (engine) cars. Now, it's possible that they will do it via an agent, but every agent I spoke with only gave me a quote for Progressive...they told me that was all they had to choose from for modified (engine) cars.

I'd be interested in talking with your agent, though.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by johnyboy32
I think you would do just as well to insure the car as stock and put the difference in a savings account.
Read the link above, they know it's modified...and I think it's noted on my policy. Now, any insurance agent that gets my insurance history knows that the car is modified.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:53 PM

Jedi mind trick man!

This isn't the car you're looking for. Now lower my rates.
Old 01-22-2002, 12:58 PM

Damn...you can't win for loosing with insurance companies these days. I mean it's a Honda for Pete's sake, not a Ferrari. There are a lot of $40K Lexus and Infinity drivers out there that I'm sure don't have that much problem getting insurance.

Sorry, had to rant a bit. Insurance companies just piss me off.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]

I called them directly and they told me they do not cover modified (engine) cars.
Old 01-22-2002, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Skorpion
This isn't the car you're looking for. Now lower my rates.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's great.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Insurance For Modified Cars...