S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Unique water leak into trunk

Old 07-07-2024, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Joe's Sled. Actually, I had this problem too. The water was leaking in from that area and it had to be re-sealed. So that one is taken care of already.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:55 AM

Thanks, Watchdogg. I suspect something like that is going on. The guy who installed the top is pretty professional. I may pay him to re-do the install and check out things like that.

Chuck, you are going in a similar direction thinking something has come loose with a connection. BTW, I never put a metal wire down the tube.
Old 07-07-2024, 05:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wasamiataowner
Thanks, Starchland. Part of the problem is that I really can't tell where the water is collecting. All I can see is that there is an overflow somewhere near the upper left area of the trunk and it streams along the side down to the bottom of the trunk.
sometimes the best course of action is to remove trunk plastics and try to pinpoint where it’s coming from. A bad rear window seal can also be a culprit. Is it glass or plastic?
Old 07-08-2024, 04:21 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
sometimes the best course of action is to remove trunk plastics and try to pinpoint where it's coming from. A bad rear window seal can also be a culprit. Is it glass or plastic?
Yeah, I was thinking remove interior panels, super powerful flashlight, play kidnap victim while someone else plays fireman with the hose.

Look for where water getting in
Old 07-08-2024, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by starchland
sometimes the best course of action is to remove trunk plastics and try to pinpoint where it’s coming from. A bad rear window seal can also be a culprit. Is it glass or plastic?
It's a glass window.
Old 07-08-2024, 05:09 AM

Thanks, car analogy. I've already done that. The problem is I can "generally locate" the small stream of water coming in from the top left of the trunk, but can't locate specificall where it is coming from.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a similar leak on my '06. I tried clearing out the drains on both sides, still leaked. It turn out to be a faulty install of rain rail under the top. I didn't do the repair myself, but I believe that the rain rail is under the back of the soft top.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by jts09
I had a similar leak on my '06. I tried clearing out the drains on both sides, still leaked. It turn out to be a faulty install of rain rail under the top. I didn't do the repair myself, but I believe that the rain rail is under the back of the soft top.

Thanks, jts09
Old 07-08-2024, 10:40 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

You've ruled out some things because they were 'fixed'. But how do you know they were done perfectly? Or that there isn't some unusual situation were the normal perfect fix isn't enough.

Since the issue is unusual and elusive, I think you need to revisit everything.

Like the fuel door. What if you stuff the area just next to/below with paper towels. Then redo test, see if any moisture on towels.

Repeat with other areas. Strategically placing test paper towels so any moisture can only have come from that place under test.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You've ruled out some things because they were 'fixed'. But how do you know they were done perfectly? Or that there isn't some unusual situation were the normal perfect fix isn't enough.

Since the issue is unusual and elusive, I think you need to revisit everything.

Like the fuel door. What if you stuff the area just next to/below with paper towels. Then redo test, see if any moisture on towels.

Repeat with other areas. Strategically placing test paper towels so any moisture can only have come from that place under test.

That's a good idea and easy to try. I'll do that in the next couple of days and report back.

Quick Reply: Unique water leak into trunk