S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

uneven tire wear ??

Old 05-25-2002, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the OEM's with SSR Comp 18's and so3's. I noticed serious differences in the tire wear between passenger and driver side rears. The drivers side, although worn down to almost slick and even wear, the passenger rear was showing cords and more wear in general especially on the inside edge. That is where the tire was totally eaten away. Is that a sign of improper rear alignment or just a characteristic of the S2000. I got 15,000 miles before it was dangerous to still be driving and finally changed them at 15,500 in the 500 miles the passenger side went from having some tread to zero and the increased wear on the inside edge.

Just wondering of I should get it aligned, I dont want to eat the new tires up ???

BTW I was in the dealership last week and they were going to give me a set they took off of a trade-in that had some tread left, but when I looked the same wear pattern existed on that set also.

So the drivers had probably 40% the other had 25-30% tread left. While that would seem to indicate that its normal, I have never heard anyone on this board mention this before.
Old 05-25-2002, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing to do is have your local Honda dealership check the alignment, they checked mine for free, and should yours as well (as long as it's under warranty). My alignment was way off when it was checked (like 90 ft per mile in the rear and 55 ft per mile in the front) and I've never run over anything. Honda put it to specs for free which was cool of them, but they probably did it because I threatened to make them pay for the tires.

The pattern of wear on the rear tires of the S is almost different for every car, although it shouldn't be. The right rear tire (passenger side) should wear more than the drivers side tire for the simple fact that it slips first, so it slips more than the other side and over time you can see the difference. Both tires should wear the insides first because of the neg-camber, but some owners report that their tires wear evenly. I personally feel that you have an alignment issue, they should wear like you are talking about, but not to that extent. Check it out, it should be free.

Andrew