S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Under a car cover, in the rain for days at a time..

Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Under a car cover, in the rain for days at a time..

Hey guys I have a question. In January of next year the wife and I are due to have our baby which means I might have to put the S on the street. I have no hardtop but If it goes outside I will be putting a SOS (Science of Speed) car cover on it. They say it allows the car to breath and release moisture but I was wondering if anyone uses one out there, and if so have you had any problems with mold, or moisture in general building up inside the car?

I'd hate to ruin the top. Or even my car in general by leaving my car outside for 3 or 4 days at at time during the rainy season. I live in California so humidity is not much of a problem here but I thought I'd ask.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you'll be fine. you dont even need the car cover. a couple days in the sun and rain wont do anything to it.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by s2cho
you'll be fine. you dont even need the car cover. a couple days in the sun and rain wont do anything to it.
I wouldn't but just because of where I live I'm going to do it. Lots of trees, Pine needles, birds that eat berries etc.. Plenty of elements here that could damage the shit out of the car. As it is I have a hard time keeping up with all the hits our SUV takes out there lol
Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gawd your S is spoiled. Mine sits outside every day. Before I got a hardtop it endured a hurricane and it was fine.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM

LOL I never owned a car above $10k in value before.

My main concern is the drainage for the trunk. If debris gets in there it will cause the water to actually get in the trunk. I don't wanna take the chance of clogging it really.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine outside under a car cover for a period of days with rain days, and didn't have a problem. A good waterproof cover should keep everything out. The only issues I see are if water gets trapped between the cover and the car (as in putting the cover on a wet car) and having it sit like that. Most weatherproof covers shed the water though and keep everything dry underneath.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spindash
I've had mine outside under a car cover for a period of days with rain days, and didn't have a problem. A good waterproof cover should keep everything out. The only issues I see are if water gets trapped between the cover and the car (as in putting the cover on a wet car) and having it sit like that. Most weatherproof covers shed the water though and keep everything dry underneath.
I hear ya. So in other words if the car is already wet don't even bother putting it on. right? The SOS cover supposedly has 3 layers so I hope it doesn't get through.. All I've ever had is the cheap $25-$50 covers in the past and those are horrible.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Yep, right. My S is garaged most of the time, but on those days when it's outside, I can't count the times when I'd thought about putting the cover on, but when I went out, the car was already wet. So, cover it early, or it sits 'till it dries. A good cover works wonders though, just put it on before the rain gets there
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

There are some California companies that make custom fit covers for the S (an just about any other car or boat). The breathable ones keep water out, but have a fine enough weave to allow evaporation of normal condensation.

Covercraft at Covercraft.com

and California Car Cover come to mind
California Car Cover
Old 07-14-2012, 10:12 PM

California covers are reallllllllllly nice but also much more than the SOS, and generally serve the same purpose. Couldn't hurt to look into covercraft though for the hell of it. right on!

Quick Reply: Under a car cover, in the rain for days at a time..